Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can not view most web sites.

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 R. Johnson

R. Johnson

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 AM

Posted 24 November 2012 - 11:01 AM

Hello all, new here, hope someone can help me.

I recently arrived in an austere environment for work. Prior to leaving I had absolutely no problems with my computer whatsoever, but upon arriving I could no longer browse most websites. Nothing changed on my computer at all, but when I go to most sites I get an error message that says the connection was reset. This happens in both Firefox and IE on both wireless and plugged in.

I've tried everything I know how. I bottomed out all my security settings, then uninstalled my antivirus with no results. I reinstalled windows and it didn't help. Programs like Dropbox and Skype work just fine, and I can go to a few websites like Facebook and Wikipedia. Mostly though I can't do much and it's very frustrating. I'm the only one on the network having the problem, and only my computer does this, my iPad has no issues at all.

My computer is an HP Pavillion m6-1053dx running Windows 7 64 bit. I currently have no antivirus installed. Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 AM

Posted 25 November 2012 - 08:12 AM

Have you tried pinging the sites you cannot access by cmd prompt? How about trying to use public IP DNS address by your TCP/IPv4 network adapters?
How to ping a website.
Changing to Public DNS address

Tekken

#3 Alvas Rawuther

Alvas Rawuther

• Members
  • 356 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 AM

Posted 26 November 2012 - 01:47 AM

Are you using your work environment's Wi-Fi or something? If so maybe they are just blocking you from accessing most sites, try using a proxy like Ultrasurf.

Try the above steps suggested by jhayz and tell us if it helps.
SYSTEM SPECS.
Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 | Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 @ 2.93GHz | 4.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 333MHz RAM | 488 GB WD SATA HDD | 1024MB ATI Radeon HD 4350 | No real-time antivirus | MBAM on-demand | Windows 7's Built-in Firewall |

#4 R. Johnson

R. Johnson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:58 AM

Ok, I tried the above suggestions. When I pinged a website that I can not connect to it came back with good results, time was 600 ms. I changed to the public DNS and it made no difference. Downloaded Ultrasurf and that seems to work, I can access previously unaccessible websites through it.

Edited by R. Johnson, 27 November 2012 - 04:06 AM.

#5 R. Johnson

R. Johnson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:04 AM

As stated above I was able to access the previously unaccessible websites with Ultrasurf. I did, however, immediately delete Ultrasurf from my computer after testing out of concern that, being a proxy, it could potentially cause harm to my computer. I don't think you would recommend something that was harmful, but I tend to be overly cautious :). But yes, websites such as Fox News that I could not previously access on my PC worked over the proxy.

#6 Alvas Rawuther

Alvas Rawuther

• Members
  • 356 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:04 AM

As stated above I was able to access the previously unaccessible websites with Ultrasurf. I did, however, immediately delete Ultrasurf from my computer after testing out of concern that, being a proxy, it could potentially cause harm to my computer. I don't think you would recommend something that was harmful, but I tend to be overly cautious :). But yes, websites such as Fox News that I could not previously access on my PC worked over the proxy.

I can assure you that Ultrasurf is a completely safe app. It's very popular tool for getting around firewalls/censorship and has been featured in many reputed software blogs. But don't take my word for it, here's Ultrasurf scanned by 44 different antivirus engines with only one detecting it as a virus. But don't worry, that's a false positive.
What is a false positive?

A "false positive" is when antivirus software identifies a non-malicious file as a virus.

Besides, from the looks of it - it seems to me that your workplace is blocking a lot of sites using a firewall or some other tool and only allowing certain websites through it.

Edited by Alvas Rawuther, 27 November 2012 - 06:05 AM.

SYSTEM SPECS.
Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 | Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 @ 2.93GHz | 4.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 333MHz RAM | 488 GB WD SATA HDD | 1024MB ATI Radeon HD 4350 | No real-time antivirus | MBAM on-demand | Windows 7's Built-in Firewall |

#7 R. Johnson

R. Johnson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:08 AM

Besides, from the looks of it - it seems to me that your workplace is blocking a lot of sites using a firewall or some other tool and only allowing certain websites through it.

That's the thing though, I can access those pages on my iPad, and other individuals can on their PC's as well.

#8 Alvas Rawuther

Alvas Rawuther

• Members
  • 356 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:03 AM

That's weird. So maybe it's your PC? But you said you changed nothing on it, are you sure?

1. And does this happen only in your work environment now?

Nonetheless, to really understand what's going on, I need to have more info. So download the portable version of Speccy from here and run it (in your work environment - if 1. is true, i.e. if it does not happen outside your work environment).

When it's all opened up and loaded, go to File > Publish Snapshot - then copy the link that appears and post it here. Or if you're having problems with publishing that snapshot. Just go to File > Save Snapshot - and upload that file as an attachment here. I'll have a look at see what's wrong.

Edited by Alvas Rawuther, 27 November 2012 - 10:05 AM.

SYSTEM SPECS.

#9 R. Johnson

R. Johnson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:34 AM

Ok, I'll get that done. Also I think I should note that our network is not actually a work network, but a network maintained for private use by my coworkers and I, with Internet provided by Hughes Net. I'd also like to thank you for taking the time to help me. I'll post the results as soon as can get it done.

#10 Alvas Rawuther

Alvas Rawuther

• Members
  • 356 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:01 PM

You did not really answer my question. But I'll assume that you are having this problem only inside your workplace.
Happy to help. :)
SYSTEM SPECS.

#11 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 PM

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:22 PM

Check your hosts file to see if the sites you're having issues with have been added somehow. If you have a software firewall see if they have been added there.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#12 R. Johnson

R. Johnson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:29 AM

Sorry, the only network that I am able to use is our personal use network, no other network is available for me to try it on. Now, I was unable to publish the Speccy results, and, at risk of sounding stupid I have to ask, how to I attach the Speccy file to a forum post?

#13 Alvas Rawuther

Alvas Rawuther

• Members
  • 356 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:53 AM

Run Ultrasurf and then try publishing snapshot using speccy.
If it still doesn't work, then...
Try these services and see if they're accessible for you(if not, run Ultrasurf when visiting them).
Upload the file, copy the link and paste it here.

http://jumpshare.com/
http://ge.tt/

Edited by Alvas Rawuther, 28 November 2012 - 09:54 AM.

SYSTEM SPECS.

#14 R. Johnson

R. Johnson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:25 AM

Link no longer needed.

Edited by R. Johnson, 28 November 2012 - 12:53 PM.

#15 Alvas Rawuther

Alvas Rawuther

• Members
  • 356 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:07 PM

I didn't find anything much suspicious.
But try terminating these processes in Task Manager(Ctrl+Shift+Esc) and then try browsing...
ac.sharedstore.exe
accrdsub.exe
acevents.exe(2 instances)
acsagent.exe
Also, are you aware you are using ActivIdentity? Do your co-workers know about it? Are they running it too?

Edited by Alvas Rawuther, 28 November 2012 - 12:09 PM.

SYSTEM SPECS.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users