Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8 and Unhide

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 nps

nps

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 PM

Posted 23 November 2012 - 11:29 PM

Hello Admins,
A virus/trojan attached my PC and many of my files are now gone from the computer. I am hoping that they are hidden and not deleted. I looked for a solution for the past few weeks and could not find any. Today, I have upgraded my PC to windows 8 and as I was looking further, I came across your site and the unhide.exe program. I downloaded the program to my PC and when I try to execute it, I get a quick popup window, looks like a DOS screen and it then goes away. I do not see unhide.exe running in my task manager. I looked in the folders where the files were and I do not see any files recovered. Does unhide.exe work with Windows 8. Thanks in advance- NPS.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,593 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 24 November 2012 - 10:38 AM

Unhide will now work with WIndows 8.

#3 nps

nps
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2012 - 11:26 AM

Hi Grinler,
Thanks for the reply. I have downloaded the unhide.exe file from the location below. How would I know that it has run successfully ? I have executed it a few times but do not see any message at the end, nor do any of my hidden files have reappeared.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/unhide/

thanks,

NPS

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,593 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2012 - 11:50 AM

Have you redownloaded it since I posted the message? I just updated it.

#5 nps

nps
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2012 - 11:26 AM

Hi Grinler,
I have now downloaded the latest version and executed it. Now the DOS window stayed up and showed me progress of the actvities. At the end, the program indicated that over 300,000 files were recovered but I still do not see any word, excel or images recovered. Am I missing any steps here. I have not made any registry updates on my own before or after executing unhide.exe. Thanks for the help. Do let me know if I should be providing any additional information.

#6 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,593 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2012 - 03:43 PM

If unhide didnt work, then your files were not hidden and were instead either deleted or removed. Do you see any files in your My Documents folder or other location where they were stored?

#7 nps

nps
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2012 - 08:26 PM

Hi Grinler,
I do not see any files in the folders so they must have been deleted. Thanks for the info and all the help so far.I greatly appreciate it. It is a great feeling to know that while there are guys out there writing viruses to harm others, there are also great guys like you out there trying to help people. Keep up the great work.

#8 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,593 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2012 - 01:21 PM

If you have system restore enabled, you may be able to restore your files by restoring an older restore point.

You can also right click on the folder, go into properties, and select previous versions. You may be able to restore a previous version of your folder that contains all of your missing files.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users