Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Acer v193w Monitor black & flashing amber light

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 pickwicknt

pickwicknt

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 PM

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:17 AM

I restarted my computer with my Acer v193w monitor and when it came back on, the monitor was black and the power light was flashing amber. I restarted again but no help.
I unplugged the monitor from the computer and plugged the power cord into another outlet and achieved the same result, although 1 outlet gave me nothing.
The only new thing to my system is the surge protector that I got last week as the other one was shot and giving me trouble when I tried to turn on the computer, which is now resolved.
Otherwise, everything was fine up until the minute I restarted. I just heard the computer beep as if it was asking me something but as I cannot see anything, I don't know what.
I do not have another monitor to check with my desktop computer.
Before I go and buy another monitor, which I really don't want to do, are there any suggestions to confirm the need for a new one? Could it be something in the computer itself? A video card of something? Or is it surely the monitor?

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer.

PLEASE!!

Edited by pickwicknt, 24 November 2012 - 03:12 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 AM

Posted 24 November 2012 - 03:19 PM

The easiest way to test this situation is to have another monitor or PC handy. If you don't have that, it's a bit difficult troubleshooting because you have no idea where the fault is. The unit is obviously getting power because the LED is flashing.

The service manual for no picture/amber LED shows no good outcomes. It stressed turning on the monitor before the PC but I'm sure you did that. You should make sure you move the mouse or a keyboard stroke to ensure a screensaver is not in play. That should not be the case on startup anyway. Nothing from any of the settings pushbuttons? If you have another VGA cable handy, try that. Check your connections either end.

You could look up the beep codes for your motherboard BIOS. You only got one beep and normally you get none at all?

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2012 - 03:44 PM

Please post the make and model of this computer.

It is just one beep, or more.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 pickwicknt

pickwicknt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2012 - 03:48 PM

Thanks so much for your reply!I really appreciate you taking the time to consider my problem.

I checked all the connections at least 4 or 5 times by now, and checked the manual just to make sure I wasn't missing something obvious. Everything appears fine.

I tried all the buttons on the monitor itself and nothing much. However, I did notice a millisecond of a flash when I hit the power button. Super subtle. I even asked my 8 year old if he saw anything, which he did. I don't even know at this point if the monitor is on or off. There's really no way to tell. No matter what I do, that light keeps flashing, but there's no code. It's just a steady flash without any delays. It only stops when you unplug it.

I don't think I have any other VGA cords. I just have the one desktop and my laptop, which is not all that hot.

What I want to know is:
Is it the monitor that's shot? I don't want to go and buy one and then I have a similar problem with the new one b/c the problem all along was in the video card or whatever inside the CPU; or some other stupid reason.

I just want to know if it's for sure broken or not. It just seems so odd b/c it was fine before I decided to restart the darn thing this morning. I keep my computer on most of the time as I don't sleep much. It takes so long to boot up that I find I just leave it on to save time at 3am.

So am I going to Best Buy today for their monitor sale? Or am I messing around with the cords again?

Thanks again!

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2012 - 04:05 PM

Please post the make and model of this computer.

It is just one beep, or more.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2012 - 04:27 PM

Why can't you connect the monitor to the laptop. The monitor is VGA as far as I can tell.

Re getting another monitor, this weekend is a good time. I recently bought a 1920x1080 monitor which I use for my PC and for a standalone blu-ray player (my graphics card is too old for HD).

Edited by Nanobyte, 24 November 2012 - 04:32 PM.

#7 pickwicknt

pickwicknt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2012 - 05:36 PM

Why can't you connect the monitor to the laptop. The monitor is VGA as far as I can tell.

Re getting another monitor, this weekend is a good time. I recently bought a 1920x1080 monitor which I use for my PC and for a standalone blu-ray player (my graphics card is too old for HD).

Can I do that? I didn't think about that. I'll try it if you think that's worth a try. The monitor is an Acer v193w flat screen 19".

#8 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2012 - 05:55 PM

Yes you can. You may have to hit a switch or function key combo on the laptop to activate the external monitor signal.

BTW dc3 has asked twice about the make and model of the PC in question so that the beep can be analyzed.

#9 pickwicknt

pickwicknt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2012 - 07:32 PM

oh duh I'm sorry. I thought they were asking for the monitor info again. I have an HP a350y pavilion desktop upon which I run Windows XP. Top of the line, a few years ago. It just did that one beep that one time, not the other times. Maybe I just hit something and it wasn't significant, I don't know.There have been no rhythm to anything. Nothing obviously coded. But I may be missing something.

Sorry. I didn't mean to ignore anyone. I didn't get it. I was also having a tree cut up today from the Hurricane. I appreciate everyone's help so much.

Hope this info helpsl

#10 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2012 - 08:08 PM

Ya gotta love the smell of hot wood and chainsaw oil.

Don't forget to try the monitor on the laptop.

If you need new hardware and miss the Black Friday weekend, there is always Cyber Monday.

#11 pickwicknt

pickwicknt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2012 - 08:14 PM

Thank you for my laugh of the day. Seriously had to LOL for that and I needed it. We got hit hard by Sandy and I'm still paying for the damage, and paying, and paying. But things could have been a lot worse so I'm grateful, just..poorer.

I will try the monitor after bath time ( my son's, not mine) and I get him settled.

Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users