Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 64 bit boot loop

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 topher618

topher618

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 PM

Posted 24 November 2012 - 12:06 AM

Hello, I was trying to remove some Malware and trojans on my Grandmas computer and sort of crashed it. I was using iObit and I remember seeing something about a rootkit something or another and boot.img file and I did not remove the file as it had the boot.img file, and thats kind of an important file. Anyways after trying to restore and completely reformatting the rd drive, I've had no luck getting the computer past the Windows Splash screen without getting restart windows normally or windows repair options. I've seen a couple articles here that could be helpful in getting it to reboot, but their specifically for certain computers, so I was hoping to get some help. Any advice is helpful, thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kram B

Kram B

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2012 - 01:44 PM

First off do not use Iobit for malware removal. You should use Malwarebytes Free Anti-Malware, which can be downloaded here.

Now, from what I understand you did a restore, but did not re-install the OS. Have you tried using repair tools with a recovery CD that should come with your computer? Or using a Windows 7 CD and using the repair options in that?

#3 topher618

topher618
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2012 - 03:54 PM

I haven't tried a windows 7 CD or recovery cd, as there aren't any with it. Could I create a recovery CD from another 64 bit operating system? The only tool I've used is the options under Windows Startup Repair.

#4 Julia G

Julia G

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:02 AM

topher618 You can create a system repair disc on any computer, as long as it is of the same Windows version and bit (86 or 64)as the computer with the problem.So since the problem computer is a W.7 64 bit,another pc with the same Windows version and bit,will do.

Edited by Julia G, 27 November 2012 - 06:07 AM.

#5 topher618

topher618
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:06 AM

Julia, already tried that, with no avail. Any other ideas? I believe it's a boot sector virus.

#6 topher618

topher618
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:06 AM

Julia, already tried that, with no avail. Any other ideas? I believe it's a boot sector virus.

#7 ranchhand1

ranchhand1

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 PM

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:25 AM

trying to restore and completely reformatting the rd drive

So.... did your reformat include removing the original partition, resetting a new partition, and reformat before installing Windows? Did you remove the restore partition also? Did you get a message that the entire drive was rendered to RAW space first?

#8 Julia G

Julia G

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:32 AM

Can you boot into Safe Mode(f8)? İf so go to Advanced Boot Options and choose Safe Mode with Networking and go here http://www.eset.com/us/online-scanner/ Checkmark ALL appropriate boxes,and disable your antivirus before you start the scan(please remember to reenable it again afterwards.)The scanner will delete anything it finds,at the end of the scan.

While still in Safe Mode clean your hdd with CCLEANER empty your 'prefetch'Start>Run type prefetch,delete everything there.Reboot and see how you go.

#9 Julia G

Julia G

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:37 AM

Also this may well be what could help if unsuccessful with ESET.This tutorial will help you,if you can download and burn the disc on a healthy computer. http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/36403/how-to-use-the-kaspersky-rescue-disk-to-clean-your-infected-pc/

You can boot from it and it may clean up your system enough,to make it possible for you to boot into Windows afterwards.Just make sure the CD/DVD option is first in the boot order in the BİOS.

Good luck.

Edited by Julia G, 01 December 2012 - 11:15 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users