Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Graphic card upgrade (for a hypothetical computer)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Captain_Awesome

Captain_Awesome

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 AM

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:21 PM

I'm looking at playing a few games online that I can't do on my consoles (WoW, DayZ etc) and maybe a few games with mods like Fallout 3. Now I don't have a pc at the moment and I'm not expecting to run any games at max, or even close really. Besides what I've mentioned I think it might be used for uni work so only Word and Firefox.

I have a monitor, keyboard, mouse and OS here, I was thinking of buying something simple from eBay and adding a graphics card, maybe combining something like these two?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VTX3D-Radeon-HD-6670-1GB-DDR3-PCI-Express-2-1-800MHz-1333MHz-/271056562096?pt=UK_Computing_Computer_Components_Graphics_Video_TV_Cards_TW&hash=item3f1c3ae7b0

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Acer-Aspire-M1640-Windows-VISTA-250GB-HD-2GB-RAM-2-6GHz-DVD-RW-NVIDIA-/170943135336?pt=UK_Computing_DesktopPCs&hash=item27cd013e68

I'm not even sure if they are compatible as it was just an example, but would I be better off going this route or just forking out the little bit extra for something like this...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/XW6400-Workstation-4GB-New-HD6670-2GB-Gaming-Card-Dual-Xeon-Dual-Core-160GB-DVD-/280974801263?pt=UK_Computing_DesktopPCs&hash=item416b67396f

I'm open to suggestions really, but as I'm not too serious about this at the minute I'd like to keep the budget low, whilst leaving potential for future upgrades high.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 szvwxcszxc

szvwxcszxc

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 AM

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:31 PM

hypothetical? Get four EVGA GTX 680 Superclocked

--

At the link: "Memory: Massive 4GB" BAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Edited by szvwxcszxc, 29 November 2012 - 07:33 PM.

#3 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 PM

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:23 PM

The Acer system looks ok but the power supply is only 250W which might not be able to power up the card.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#4 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:01 PM

Honestly, both of the systems linked are about 4 generations old. They are not quick. A Core™2 Duo is really long in the tooth at this point, and will cause a bottleneck with many modern games. Neither one of those systems are really a consideration. That old workstation is likely 5+ years old.

Save until you can afford a real system. I understand it can be tough to do, but as it is now, you are just looking at used systems that are of very limited use, and limited upgrade capability.

I don't know prices on your side of the pond, I assume GB, and your VAT etc. Speccing out a desktop with an i5/comparable AMD CPU, 4-8gigs of RAM, a decent power supply, and a quality motherboard is a place to start. Get your fundamentals straight so you don't have to spend twice to upgrade one component just so you can upgrade another (like having to buy a new power supply, just so you can upgrade your videocard).

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#5 Jan Benedict

Jan Benedict

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 PM

Posted 01 December 2012 - 03:15 AM

I suggest you build a computer from parts that you choose for you preference and you won't get disappoint cause you'll put an effort to make it perfect.

#6 sweeper2

sweeper2

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:39 PM

Yes- I agree with Jan. I think you get much more "bang for you buck" if you build it yourself and you get much better quality parts for upgrading, etc. For a single GPU system, air cooled, you should be able to get a mid-gaming build together for $600-$700 US. that may seem like a lot, but it will serve you well for years to come - maybe upgrading to a new GPU or to a SLI/crossfire setup in the future.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users