Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP monitor driver needed

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bhl

bhl

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 PM

Posted 23 November 2012 - 06:54 PM

I have a HP f1523 h LCD monitor. I had to wipe my HDD and reinstall XP. The reload simply recognized my monitor as a generic plug and play and as a result I can't get 256 colors and I only have 2 choices for resolution. Unfortunately I no linger have the HP CD. I'm trying to find the correct driver but can't find it on the HP website or anywhere else online. HP does have a driver for the f1523 monitor (no "h") which is the flat-screen version of the LCD monitor. Would this driver work? If not, any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,967 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 AM

Posted 23 November 2012 - 07:20 PM

I can't get 256 colors and I only have 2 choices for resolution.

This is caused by the video driver - you'll need to install the correct video drivers for the video used in the computer. If you need an assist finding them, post the details of the computer system (Brand and model if it's a namebrand, motherboard for onboard video or video card if it's generic), or publish a snapshot using speccy.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 bhl

bhl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2012 - 06:21 PM

Got it. It's ATI Radon Xpress 200. I checked my driver version a few days ago and had presence of mind to write it down.

Ver 6.14.10.6561

I went to the ATI/AMD site previously and downloaded a tool that checks your graphics and recommends the current driver. I installed using the tool.

Ver 8.593.100.0

You'd think that the latest version would have more resolution options and 256 color. But no!!!

I checked CDnet and they had Ver 6.14.10.6517

The HP site has a file that updates to Ver 8.17.0.0B

One option, leave as is with "current" version. But that lack of 256 colors is a big drawback.

Other option, download the CDnet version and see what happens. I can always upgrade using the HPsite.

Suggestions?

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,967 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 AM

Posted 25 November 2012 - 01:31 AM

Radeon Xpress 200 - is the computer a laptop? Often you do have to use the manufacturer supplied drivers for mobile chipsets. We're somewhat hampered in offering advice without knowing about your system.

There certainly can be situations where an older version driver can solve a specific problem, but your symptoms suggest Windows may still be using the Standard VGA driver, what does Device Manager show under Display adapters?

Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 bhl

bhl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2012 - 04:08 PM

Its a HP Pavilion a1130e desktop. The device manager is where I got the Radeon Xpress 200 from.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users