Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

slow Dell laptop, now won't boot or repair

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Trexmix

Trexmix

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 PM

Posted 23 November 2012 - 12:37 PM

I'm working my sister's Dell Inspiron n5010 running Windows 7 Enterprise. It has been fine until this week when it became slow to the point of unusable. I had installed Microsoft Security Essentials on it for her, and she said one night when she shut it down, it installed updates. It finished and shut down. Next morning, she opened the lid and the screen was on saying "installing update 1 of 12, 0%" as if it had never finished and froze up from the night before. It finally finished and when it booted into Windows, I tried to run a virus scan, but it said Security Essentials was out of date and failed to start. I tried unsuccessfully to update it, and I couldn't get much of anything else to run either, it was so slow.

I used my install disc to start fresh with a new install of Windows, and it seemed to fix it, until I got to installing drivers. before beginning on the drivers, I installed Security Essentials and MalwareBytes, ran scans, and they came up clean. As soon as I started installing drivers, though, it became slow, froze up, and I was back to square one. Now when it tries to boot to Windows, it gives two options: launch startup repair (which freezes) or start Windows normally (which also freezes). Booting from the install disc to start again with a Windows install won't even work now. As soon as it boots from the cd, it freezes.

My sister needs this laptop, but we can't afford to buy a new one now. Anybody know what's causing this and how to fix it? Any help is greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Trexmix

Trexmix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2012 - 12:41 PM

UPDATE: after sitting seemingly frozen for 30 minutes, startup repair just launched. Not sure how much further it will go, though.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 AM

Posted 23 November 2012 - 12:52 PM

Let us know how it turns out.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Trexmix

Trexmix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2012 - 01:59 PM

Startup repair is still "attempting repairs". Any ballpark estimate of how long it normally takes?

#5 Trexmix

Trexmix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2012 - 02:30 PM

Startup repair finished, Windows booted up. It seems to have restored to the point when I was installing drivers. I'm creating a system image on an external drive before anything else. Basic navigation still seems unusually slow. After the system image finishes, I'll try updating Security Essentials and see if that goes ok.

#6 Trexmix

Trexmix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2012 - 02:44 PM

Hmm. The backup failed with this error message: "The system cannot find the path specified. (0x80070003)" At the risk of encountering another crash, I'm going to wait to hear some advice on here before messing with it further.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 PM

Posted 23 November 2012 - 04:32 PM

<<I used my install disc to start fresh with a new install of Windows,>>

What install disk might that be? From whom? Dell install disks are geared to specific systems, there is no generic install disk that can be used on all Dell systems.

Does your statement mean that you formatted the Dell system before attempting to install Windows?

Windows 7 Enterprise is a corporate, volume-license version of Windows. Who is the owner of this system...and since a volume license was involved...why didn't they just wipe and reinstall?

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users