Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

dual boot xp loads white screen over desktop

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 davidblaine

davidblaine

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 PM

Posted 23 November 2012 - 11:51 AM

I've seen a lot of threads about something like this, but not this. I've got an PC that runs either Linux or XP. Right now it defaults to xp. It was running fine until I did the last windows update. Upon restart it loaded a white screen instead of the regular desktop. Up until that point everything looked normal on startup, WinXP Splash screen, etc.

Now here is where my problem is different from most. I don't even see the cursor. I can use keyboard commands to shut down and/or restart, I even used keyboard commands to roll back to another day, but that doesn't help.

And now for the really weird part. This computer is running fine. I can go home and use Team Viewer to connect and operate the computer and everything is running fine.

If I boot to Linux (Ubuntu) then the monitor works fine, so it's not the monitor.

I've tried disconnecting the two usb accessories, a wifi antenna and a camera feed. No difference.

So, apart from reformatting the entire computer and starting from scratch, any ideas? Thanks so much

Dave

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,810 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 PM

Posted 23 November 2012 - 12:46 PM

Try doing a System Restore to a date previous to this issue.

Can you boot into Safe Mode?

If yes, is the color the same there?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 davidblaine

davidblaine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 PM

Posted 23 November 2012 - 03:41 PM

Hmm, well, I already tried the system restore a couple of times. Tried booting to safe mode just now, using F8 at boot. No difference. Then I tried something out of frustration. I turned the monitor off and then back on. Guess what? I got a regular screen. Funny, when I boot to Ubuntu, I get a normal screen without having to do that. Now I'm thinking it is a monitor problem. I'll bring an old CRT out here and hook it up and see if it makes any difference. Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users