Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Avast registration

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 millipede

millipede

• Members
  • 614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 AM

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:20 PM

I've been using Avast for a few years now and have loved it, mostly. I HATE how they try to trick you into their trial upgrade. BIG green buttons, etc...
That aside, I've liked it a lot. I originally switched over from AVG a few years back when AVG changed in some way I didn't like. I don't really remember what it was at the time, but it likely had something to do with registration...

Anyway............
During the past few years and multiple computers for myself, family, and friends, using Avast, I've never had to do more than put my email address in... and up til right now, I've NEVER gotten any email from them.
Today, I installed it into a laptop I'm working on for someone. I used my own email address to register it. I'm not sure if I overlooked a checkbox or what... I'm thinking maybe their registration just recently changed?
At any rate... this time, I got an email from them right after I registered... What was worse and more confusing was what it said...

NOTE: Information email only - PLEASE DO NOT REPLY
Congratulations - you have registered for your new avast! Account portal.
Now we just need you to confirm your registration by clicking the following link:

Avast account? I was worried, sincerely worried that if I didn't click that, the registration wouldn't stick or something. But when I clicked, it took me to a page where they want me to create an account with a username and password and all. What? I don't want to do that.
So...
My big question is... is this step necessary to stay covered by avast? I recommend the program to a lot of people and install it on computers I help others with. I'm not going to keep up doing that if I have to create an account to login to. :/
Anyway, I tried googling but didn't find anything. Is this how it is now? Or is this an optional thing? I want to make sure the registration stays valid for the people I'm working on this laptop for.
Does my question make sense?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 PM

Posted 23 November 2012 - 12:02 AM

NOTE: Information email only - PLEASE DO NOT REPLY

This is the only section I would follow - Often others get your email and use it for similar messages -
Unless you have just joined the avast! forum (regulation confirmation), Do Not Reply, as you do not use any paid version.

Regards -

#3 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 AM

Posted 23 November 2012 - 12:17 AM

Thanks. Whatever it is, it is new to avast.
If I go to avast here on my pc it says
"not connected with any avast account" with the option to connect.

but on the one I just installed it on today, where the above line would be it says it is connected to my account and has MY email address right there.
Either I missed something I should have unchecked(I'm usually careful about that) or this is something that avast now just opts you in for, to create an account. I sure didn't see any options.
I clicked the link, it is a legit email... I clicked the link simply because of the part that says "now we just need to confirm your registration..."
in my current avast on MY computer that is not "connected", where it gives me the option to connect there's a nice ? so you can get more info... A FAQ page about their accounts
https://my.avast.com/faq
Only thing is it doesn't even hint at whether or not this is necessary to use their product.
I may be just a bit paranoid but I've seen products that started out Really free and good and slowly become a bit more, let's just say corrupt and money hungry. Some eventually turned back to being great but some others not so much.
So my fear was/is that avast might be starting to force people into having an account in order to use their product.
I guess time will tell really.
I hope all this is making sense. I could probably post screenshots... I'm not super worried about it really, just curios and a bit concerned about the future of my using avast. I'm not a huge fan of change. :)

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 PM

Posted 23 November 2012 - 12:53 AM

Today, I installed it into a laptop I'm working on for someone. I used my own email address to register it.

Installing the free version would be a 30 day expiration (I think) allowance of usage before users could continue the free software. Do you happen to have use the same address on previously installed of free avast? I have not tried to use the same email ID on different avast installed registration, but could it be that they have somehow double-checked that the given email address is being use by an existing installation? Not sure of this speculation...

Tekken

#5 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 PM

Posted 23 November 2012 - 02:11 AM

In the meantime, a dialog box offering an upgrade may popup.
To continue using avast! Free Antivirus and open the registration form, just click the 'Select' button displayed at avast! Free Antivirus column within the product comparison table.

Looks like they are going to pester you a bit -

Another reason I use MSE - - -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users