Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XLDR ATA error, Unable to boot XP SP3

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
30 replies to this topic

#1 laptopjay

laptopjay

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 AM

Posted 22 November 2012 - 04:55 PM

Good day!
I have a Dell Inspiron WIn Xp SP3 laptop that does not boot. Error is "XLDR ATA error."

I ran the diagnostics in the boot menu (F12) and found no issues.

searched in the forum and found multiple threads with this problem. Some of the solutions involve creating a bootable CD with special applications

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic467425.html
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic473287.html
The only problem is that the other computer I have does not have a CD/DVD drive. so I cannot download GETxPUD and create a boot CD with applications that were mentioned in the threads above.
I cannot even boot in safe mode.

I tried using windows installation CD to boot to windows, but the only options available are to install the OS again or windows recovery console. In recovery console, I checked the disk with "chkdsk /p" and the check yielded a message "CHKDSK found one or more errors on the volume"

I'm in desperate need of help. I think this is a virus issue as this computer got infected in the past and I managed to resolve the issues.

This computer has MSE antivirus and Zonealarm firewall.

THanks
Jay

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 AM

Posted 22 November 2012 - 06:04 PM

Do you have a USB Flash Drive?
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 laptopjay

laptopjay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2012 - 06:37 PM

Yes, I have a flash drive, 16GB in size.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,338 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2012 - 07:09 PM

Ok ,I will ask someone that specializes in these non boot issues to look here when they can.. With the Ho;liday i am not sure it will be today.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 laptopjay

laptopjay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2012 - 07:10 PM

Thanks Boopme. Will wait for someone! have a great Thanksgiving!

Thanks
Jay

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,338 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2012 - 07:14 PM

:thumbup2: You too !!

#7 thisisu

thisisu

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,525 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 AM

Posted 23 November 2012 - 02:39 AM

Hello and welcome to the forums, Jay :)

Try this please. You will need a USB drive.

Download http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/unetbootin-xpud-windows-latest.exe & http://noahdfear.net/downloads/bootable/xPUD/xpud-0.9.2.iso to the desktop of your clean computer
  • Insert your USB drive
  • Press Start > My Computer > right click your USB drive > choose Format > Quick format
  • Double click the unetbootin-xpud-windows-387.exe that you just downloaded
  • Press Run then OK
  • Select the DiskImage option then click the browse button located on the right side of the textbox field.
  • Browse to and select the xpud-0.9.2.iso file you downloaded
  • Verify the correct drive letter is selected for your USB device then click OK
  • It will install a little bootable OS on your USB device
  • Once the files have been written to the device you will be prompted to reboot ~ do not reboot and instead just Exit the UNetbootin interface
  • After it has completed do not choose to reboot the clean computer simply close the installer
  • Next download dumpit to your USB
  • Remove the USB and insert it in the sick computer
  • Boot the Sick computer
  • Press F12 and choose to boot from the USB
  • Follow the prompts
  • A Welcome to xPUD screen will appear
  • Press File
  • Expand mnt
  • Click on sdb1 (sdb1 represents the USB drive).
  • Double click on the dumpit file.
  • A black window will pop-up and it will dump and zip the MBR to your USB drive.
  • Press Enter to exit the black window.
  • Click on HOME tab and choose Power Off to turn off xPUD.
  • Remove the USB drive and insert it back on your working computer.
  • Locate the mbr.zip file in your USB drive and attach it when you reply.

Edited by thisisu, 23 November 2012 - 03:09 AM.

#8 laptopjay

laptopjay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:04 AM

Gosh, missus & I were up all night roaming around the malls chasing useless deals !! I so hope that one day they stop tempting weaker souls with all these deals...sorry for blabbering..

Thisisu,

I checked the sick laptop and in BIOS I see the USB drive as bootable drive as one of the options (#4 or #5 in the list). But when I start the computer and use F12 for selecting the bootalbe drives, I do not see the USB drive option.

should I change something in BIOS to see USB drive as one of the bootable drive when I press F12?

Thanks
Jay

Edited by laptopjay, 23 November 2012 - 09:05 AM.

#9 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,338 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:10 AM

Hello, Just letting you know I moved this to the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum,where it will stay.

#10 thisisu

thisisu

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,525 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2012 - 01:00 PM

I checked the sick laptop and in BIOS I see the USB drive as bootable drive as one of the options (#4 or #5 in the list). But when I start the computer and use F12 for selecting the bootalbe drives, I do not see the USB drive option.

I see. Just to add some redundancy, change the USB hard drive to #1 on the boot order list. Then save changes and reboot. See if that works. If not, here is an alternative:

I tried using windows installation CD to boot to windows, but the only options available are to install the OS again or windows recovery console.

Please go back into the Windows Recovery Console and type in these three commands in the order they are listed here, pressing ENTER after each one.
Note: the Blue text is only informational and is not part of the command.

• fixmbr (Press Y to confirm that you want to write a new Master Boot Record)
  • fixboot (Press Y to confirm that you want to write a new boot sector)
  • exit (This exits you from the recovery console and restarts your computer)

Now try to boot normally, without any CD in the CD tray. Let me know what boot error you receive now (if anything different) or if boot was successful.

#11 laptopjay

laptopjay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2012 - 10:57 AM

[quote name='thisisu' timestamp='1353656355' post='2903432']
Hello and welcome to the forums, Jay :)

Try this please. You will need a USB drive.

Download http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/unetbootin-xpud-windows-latest.exe & http://noahdfear.net/downloads/bootable/xPUD/xpud-0.9.2.iso to the desktop of your clean computer[list]
[*]Insert your USB drive
[*]Press Start > My Computer > right click your USB drive > choose Format > Quick format
[*]Double click the unetbootin-xpud-windows-387.exe that you just downloaded
[*]Press Run then OK
[*]Select the DiskImage option then click the browse button located on the right side of the textbox field.
[*]Browse to and select the xpud-0.9.2.iso file you downloaded
[*]Verify the correct drive letter is selected for your USB device then click OK
[*]It will install a little bootable OS on your USB device
[*]Once the files have been written to the device you will be prompted to reboot ~ do not reboot and instead just Exit the UNetbootin interface
[*]After it has completed do not choose to reboot the clean computer simply close the installer
[*]Next download dumpit to your USB
[*]Remove the USB and insert it in the sick computer
[*]Boot the Sick computer
[*]Press F12 and choose to boot from the USB
[*]Follow the prompts
[*]A Welcome to xPUD screen will appear
[*]Press File
[*]Expand mnt

Thisisu,

I following the instructions and I was able to see the start screen of the xPUD. It went on to boot and after few minutes, I get an error message. I think I did not get the last two instructions highlighted in pink.

Please see attached message.

Not sure what to do. leaving the computer on till I'm sure of what to do.

Thanks
Jay

Attached Files

#12 thisisu

thisisu

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,525 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2012 - 02:45 PM

I'm not sure what to make out of the screenshot you posted. You can force restart the computer and try again.

Question for you, did you ever get to this screen (below)?

Posted Image

Edited by thisisu, 24 November 2012 - 02:47 PM.

#13 laptopjay

laptopjay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2012 - 04:02 PM

Hi Thisisu,

Please see attached mbr.zip file.Attached File  mbr.zip   2.21KB   3 downloads

Funny, after I force-restarted the computer, I got the screen you mentioned... I'm back in business to proceed with trouble shooting...

Thanks
Jay

#14 laptopjay

laptopjay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2012 - 04:05 PM

Thisisu,

The hard disk is an 80Gb disk, divided into 3 partitions, C E and F. E&F are data storage and C is the OS partition.

Thanks
Jay

#15 thisisu

thisisu

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,525 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2012 - 04:19 PM

I think I see the issue. Try the below and let me know if boot was successful or not.

You will need to use xPUD again and your USB/flash drive again.

Please right click the following link and select "save link/target as". Save the file as mbr.bin to your flashdrive (be sure to delete any old copy of mbr.bin first!): http://thisisudax.org/mbr/476148/mbr.bin

Now reboot in xPUD and navigate to your USB drive. Click Tool > Open Terminal, type the following and press enter.

dd if=mbr.bin of=/dev/sda bs=512 count=1

After completing this, restart normally and let me know if you can get in windows now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users