Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help with wireless setup problem!

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 dadzboss

dadzboss

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 PM

Posted 22 November 2012 - 02:57 PM

I have a new bare bones desktop running Windows 7 SP1. Everything runs great, all the USB ports function without a glitch, except for one thing. The wireless for my DSL doesn't work. I have to use a wireless adapter because the modem/router is on the other side of the house, but when I try to enable the wireless connection in the control panel, the dialog box shows it's enabling, then enabled, but the icon stays gray and says disabled. I checked the hardware manager and it shows the wireless adapter is working and the drivers are current and correct. I've uninstalled and reinstalled in and out of safe mode, tried Linksys and Hawking adapters, reset the modem/router, and checked every blog I could find. Nothing. I've tried online tech chats with Linsys and Netgear, emailed MSI (motherboard manufacturer)and even Microsoft with no change. I'm told I need to reinstall the OS, but I'm hoping someone may have a answer before I go through that. Ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,407 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 PM

Posted 22 November 2012 - 03:16 PM

What is the make and model of the router and the wifi adaptor?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 dadzboss

dadzboss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2012 - 02:08 AM

The modem/router is a Netgear, the adapter is Hawking. I tried a Linksy first, then got the Hawking, which I tested on my laptop, also & SP1, and it worked fine. Coimmunication/link up was no problem.

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 23 November 2012 - 02:16 AM

The wireless for my DSL doesn't work

The netgear modem/router from your ISP...? Did it worked before or do other wifi devices connect? Please provide the complete model of your router/modem also and what ISP provider.

Tekken

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,407 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2012 - 08:24 AM

I recently purchased a Netgear router and found that the Netgear Genie was very helpful.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 dadzboss

dadzboss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:11 AM

Hi jhayz-
Yeah, the modem/router works great with 3 wireless laptops, 3 pc's hooked up by ethernet (I moved the pc in question next to the modem/router to test it on ethernet and it worked fine), and there's a wireless printer set up in the network. No issues at all.

Also, the modem/router is a Netgear DGN2200 and the new wireeless adapter is a Hawking Hi-Gain Wireless-150N with range amplifier. I tested the adapter on my laptop and it worked great. The issue is definately with the pc. Is there some setting in the Bios or something?

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,407 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:38 PM

Is this desktop wifi ready, or do you have an adapter?

#8 dadzboss

dadzboss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2012 - 05:19 PM

Adapter (see post & reply)

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,407 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:41 PM

If this is a Netgear router and modem combo you may want to try using their Neatgear Genie to make your connection.

#10 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 01 December 2012 - 01:05 AM

If it worked with 3 laptops wirelessly on the Netgear router/modem, then its definitely within the desktop using the USB adapter. Although you mentioned other side of the house...? then tested the hawking adapter on a laptop which worked great, but of what distance did it worked? The usual setup is just install the setup cd, plug the adapter and connect to your local home network SSID (either launching the icon from the desktop or from the system tray). Did you went as far from the locating your network connection?

Tekken

#11 seooffpage

seooffpage

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2012 - 01:07 AM

Buy Netgear router it will help you in fixing your problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users