Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer freezes

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 deadeyejack

deadeyejack

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 PM

Posted 22 November 2012 - 12:21 PM

Have Toshiba Satellite A665 (approx 2+ years old). Operating system is Windows Professional.
Approx in late October while playing Bridge on "Bridge Base Online" this computer suddenly froze-could not do anything except click on the start to shut-off. The mouse pointer (arrow) turned to "I" and would not do anything! This has happened now every time I use that site and last night I timed it - 40minutes after start, it froze. I will say that this is the only web site that I use for that length of time. Would appreciate any thoughts/help/etc. Thank you. Jim

*Moderator Edit: Moved topic from Windows XP to the appropriate forum. ~ Queen-Evie*

Edited by Queen-Evie, 23 November 2012 - 10:23 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,756 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 PM

Posted 22 November 2012 - 12:30 PM

Please check the Event Viewer to see what errors are showing up at these times. Each error has a date and time.

Go to Start> Run and type in eventvwr.msc then press Enter.

When the Event Viewer opens click on Applications in the left pane.

If you double click on an error a description of the error will open. Click on the copy icon, (the copy icon is highlighted with the red square in the picture below), once this is done you can right click and paste this description. Please post the error description/s in your next post in this topic.

Posted Image

Please use the following link to provide us with information about your computer so that we can assist you.

How to Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 deadeyejack

deadeyejack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2012 - 01:01 PM

How do I know what an error is after I have followed your instructions?
Everything is zero ixcept: Microsoft Office Diagnostics. # of event = 25
and Microsoft Office Sessions - # of events = 120

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,756 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2012 - 01:08 PM

Errors will appear as a red dot with a white X in it.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,756 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2012 - 01:22 PM

Here's a picture of a error.

#6 deadeyejack

deadeyejack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2012 - 04:57 PM

OK. I get only so far then nothing. When I get to Applications (mine says Applications and Services Log) & I click on it, I get
"Overview" with Summary of Admin Events, Recently Viewed Notes and Log Summaries. Nowhere do I find anything with error description or red square/red dot or white X. I think I mentioned that I have Windows Professional-if that makes a difference.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,756 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2012 - 06:00 PM

Does the page look like the picture I posted when you open it?

#8 deadeyejack

deadeyejack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2012 - 07:35 PM

No it does not.

#9 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 AM

Posted 23 November 2012 - 02:10 AM

Please follow the Speccy link provided on post#2.

Edited by jhayz, 23 November 2012 - 02:11 AM.

Tekken

#10 deadeyejack

deadeyejack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:56 AM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/oQHOxig4sdrcO2cZRpzwf1H

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,756 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:17 AM

Now I see why the Event Viewer didn't look like the picture I posted, you are running Windows 7 and have posted this in the Windows XP forum. The picture I posted is what you would see in XP.

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,756 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:47 AM

Ok... now that I know you have Windows 7 I can address this differently.

Microsoft Support has a article which addresses this issue. When you go to the website scroll down to Resolutions and click on "My computer hangs or freezes while browsing the Internet.

I'm running Windows 7 and recently had been experiencing freezing while online with the only option to do a hard shut down, this solved the problem for me.

#13 deadeyejack

deadeyejack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:58 PM

Well I did what you suggested and went on-line to my Bridge web site. Everything seemed to work ok UNTIL 1 and 1/2 hours into the session when I typed a reply from one of the players and BOOM-FROZE AGAIN! Now, something I forgot before-this usually happens (guess I could say always has happened in the past) when I type something!!!!! Any further ideas?

#14 deadeyejack

deadeyejack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2012 - 07:10 PM

I have rcvd an email that states I got a response but I cannot find it anywhere even tho I went to the site instructed. Please help.

#15 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 AM

Posted 25 November 2012 - 10:07 AM

From your Speccy report, you have Comodo Firewall as your 3rd party firewall. Try removing this and use the Windows Firewall. You also have Windows Defender running which could also affect or contribute to the freezing problem. Disable WD by services.msc(Enter) in start - search programs and files box. Clear your cache and install Malwarebytes and run a quick scan only after updating to latest definition.

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users