Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help! Hd Swap On Windows Machine...problems!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 idratherbesurfing

idratherbesurfing

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 AM

Posted 23 March 2006 - 03:06 PM

Okay,
Fried the Harddrive in my emachines T1840, and swapped it out with another 40g samsung HD. Installed the drive, set te jumpers the same as the previos drive, connected it, booted up, reinstalled/reformatted using the boot disks included with the machine, and all went well. I went to reboot the machine, and every time it get to the windows setup (sometimes before) the entire machine powers off. What did I do? What can I do? Any help is greatly appreciated! I'm hoping to get this problem remedied prior ro my boss getting back from his vacation!
thanks,
marcus

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 AM

Posted 23 March 2006 - 03:21 PM

Make sure that the fans are all running, especially the one on your processor. You may have pulled a wire loose when replacing the HD.

While you have the computer open, clean all the dust from inside it with a can of compressed air. (Do not blow it directly on the fans without stopping them from spinning first. Use a pencil or something non-conductive to stop the fans when you blow the air on them. Overspinning them can damage them)

Make sure all connections are tight.

Even though you set the jumper the same way as it was on the old hard drive, look for the diagram on the new hard drive and make sure the jumper is set correctly. If you only have one hard drive it should be set to master or master with no slave - whatever is applicable.

You didn't remove and replace the processor did you? If you did, you would have needed to clean it and the heat sink and reapply the thermal paste.

Did you format the hard drive first before trying to install Windows?

If you didn't - use the CD that should have come with the hard drive and format it.

By the way, it's a good idea to partition the HD. Use the first partition for the op system and the second for other programs and data.
The software that came with the new hd should give you that capability when you format the hd.

Edited by Enthusiast, 23 March 2006 - 03:25 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users