Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HOW TO replace laptop graphics card?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 computerfunguy

computerfunguy

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 PM

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:15 PM

Hello. I am looking for a HOW TO tutorial guide. i need to replace a video card on an hp pavillion dv4 laptop. the screen does not work and the external monitor output does not work as well so i figure it must be video card? Not sure how to do it on this model. Any help would be great. thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,496 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 AM

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:21 PM

The vast majority of laptops don't have a discrete video card, the video chip is soldered directly onto the mainboard. It might be possible for this to have the solder re-flowed, if the chip itself hasn't been damaged. DV4 is a series with many individual models - if you search HP support with the complete model number from the label on the laptop, you usually find HP has reasonable service information available.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 Wooshie

Wooshie

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:35 PM

This is a simple procedure but near impossible to do without the right equiptment. I repair a lot of DV series mother boards by removing the old chip and replacing it with a revised chip that has better solder and then place a copper shim between the chip and heatsink to help transfer heat away from the new chip to prevent this from happening. Check with local repair shops in your area (not geek squad) and see if they offer this service.

#4 jediwoman

jediwoman

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2012 - 01:13 PM

This is a simple procedure but near impossible to do without the right equiptment. I repair a lot of DV series mother boards by removing the old chip and replacing it with a revised chip that has better solder and then place a copper shim between the chip and heatsink to help transfer heat away from the new chip to prevent this from happening. Check with local repair shops in your area (not geek squad) and see if they offer this service.

Thanks for that information!!! I will presume the same is true of the Pavilion Dv6 line...

I was contemplating doing an upgrade of my graphics chip (ATI Mobility Radeon 5650 HD) bc I could not run ANY 3D MMO's like SWTOR or Star Trek Online. Having some experience with hardware upgrades - upgrading/building desktops, & having done some tech support with servers, it was something I started to research to see if I could pull it off with a lot of patience.

The more I read, the more I began to suspect my problem was actually with software - not hardware. I found an older version of my ATI drivers on my hard drive which I re-installed. I also found an older version of the ATI Catalyst. (I think the Catalyst was the culprit strangely enough) Now the games run beautifully. I had my laptop set for automatic Windows upgrades. Guess I learned a rather odd lesson.

Edited by jediwoman, 25 November 2012 - 01:15 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users