Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Seemingly Unbootable Windows Vista Desktop Computer

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 R0D3R1CK

R0D3R1CK

• Members
  • 623 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 AM

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:36 PM

Brace yourself. This explanation is going to take a little while.

Windows Vista 32-bit; 2GB RAM; I can't remember the processor/HDD specs

7.45am: Computer screen spontaneously goes dark; the computer tower's Hard Drive light was unlit but the computer remained on (I tried to make it respond to something by clicking the mouse and pressing keys...but to no avail).

Between 8am and 11am, I did multiple things. First, I tried to perform an anti-malware scan using Webroot's SecureAnywhere software. Once again, the computer's screen went dark and the tower became seemingly unresponsive (though it was still on). I then performed a cold shutdown (using the power button) and rebooted. It gave me the Safe Mode options and the option to boot Windows normally (I booted normally). The desktop appeared; I tried running another Webroot scan. Once again, the computer fails just like the first two times. I reboot again (normally) and installed Malwarebytes. The scan with Malwarebytes was successful; no malicious objects were detected. By 11am, I had reasoned that Webroot was probably causing the issue (given that the issue arose whenever the Webroot scan achieved approximately 55% progress). It's also worth noting that when restarting the computer, a sharp beeping would sometimes emanate from the tower.
I have submitted a ticket to Webroot but have not received a reply yet.

After 11am, things started to deteriorate even more.
I left the computer on, waiting for an email reply from Webroot. Upon going down to check my email, I saw that the monitor had gone to sleep. Not necessarily a bad thing, right?
Wrong.
I couldn't get the monitor to wake (though the tower was still on and awake). I then did a cold shutdown and waited a few moments before restarting.
Hit the power button.
Monitor stays asleep. Tower is on, but HDD is largely inactive. The power light on the computer was lit, but every so often, it would blink; it would dim and/or temporarily shut off. This has me thinking there's something wrong with the hard drive and/or power source. Multiple attempts to start the computer have been unsuccessful.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
-r0d3r1ck

(For reference, I'm posting this at 1.35pm)

EDIT/UPDATE
I just rebooted the computer and it again gave me the option to boot into Safe Mode or Normal Mode; I chose to reboot normally and it worked perfectly well. However, it seems likely that this problem has not resolved itself.

Edited by R0D3R1CK, 21 November 2012 - 02:43 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,572 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 AM

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:16 PM

<<It's also worth noting that when restarting the computer, a sharp beeping would sometimes emanate from the tower.>>

I've only experienced system noises of any kind in the following circumstances:

a. Beeps at boot indicating a hardware problem.

b. Alarms given by malware-detection programs when detecting known malware.

c. System alarm indicating system overheating.

I would pursue the overheating possibility, based on what you have reported thus far.

Louis

#3 R0D3R1CK

R0D3R1CK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 623 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:36 PM

I would pursue the overheating possibility, based on what you have reported thus far.

I will, but the fact that it only happened occasionally within a relatively short time interval that included several reboots is a bit of a deterrent.

Another deterrent is that the computer is about 5 years old.

Tis quite an anomaly.

-r0d3r1ck

#4 R0D3R1CK

R0D3R1CK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 623 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2012 - 05:43 PM

Another Update:
Webroot Support thought it would be a disk error. So I was instructed to run CHKDSK. It ran perfectly fine.
After running CHKDSK, I was to download a Webroot utility that would (I believe) retrieve the log created by CHKDSK. I downloaded and ran it, but it froze (that is, the entire computer froze; the hard drive light stopped illuminating)
I performed a cold shutdown and rebooted; the power light illuminated, but the Hard Drive light didn't. Also, the screen didn't wake.
I waited a little while before trying to start it again, but to no avail (the same thing happened during this reboot attempt).

So I'll try a couple more times (once tomorrow and once the next day). Hopefully it'll work again...I'd like to make sure I've obtained all the valuable data from it.

-r0d3r1ck

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users