Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mac running really slow...

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mercuryrsng

mercuryrsng

• Members
  • 298 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 PM

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:26 PM

In recent weeks, My Mac has been running fairly slow. I notice that Spotlight has been indexing an awful lot. I am running Mountain Lion. Any suggestions? I get many hiccups and I get the rotating round colored thing. Just got it twice while typing these few lines.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 715 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 AM

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:14 AM

Spotlight indexing the hard drive will slow down your Mac considerably. I'd just wait until it's done indexing.

#3 heroditus

heroditus

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 PM

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:10 AM

Try Onyx, you can tick everything in "Automation" until you can learn more about it.

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/11582/onyx

#4 Brawdy14

Brawdy14

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:43 AM

Try Onyx, you can tick everything in "Automation" until you can learn more about it.

Hello!  smile.png

Have you any idea why OnyX  is not available from the Apple 'App' store?

Perhaps you could/would ask the developer - Titanium, I think it is.

--

#5 heroditus

heroditus

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:13 PM

Sorry, no but I think as a free program it covers just about everything.

#6 Protech_solutions

Protech_solutions

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 PM

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:25 PM

hmm, it may be your hard drive going bad. When a mac hard drive goes bad a few things will happen. The spinning wheel of death will come on very often. Opening a page or moving around a window will also trigger the spinning wheel of death and the lag time will be horrendous. How often does your computer go slow? Is it all the time? If it is, I strongly recommend taking it into an apple store and have them run a hard drive test on it. Also, if you haven't already, back up your computer! What you are describing happened to me a few years ago and it ended up being my hard drive going bad, I lost everything. 

Apples great because you can bring your computer in for free, just make sure you scheduled an appointment at the genius bar. Please do a follow-up I am really interested in knowing what it ended up being. 

Hope this helped! 

#7 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 PM

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:33 AM

Hello!  smile.png

Have you any idea why OnyX  is not available from the Apple 'App' store?

Perhaps you could/would ask the developer - Titanium, I think it is.

--

My guess is because OnyX does stuff that Apple's App Store "rules" don't permit.  You will not find many "disk level" type utilities in the Apple App Store since Apple forces all apps in the App Store to operate in kind of a "walled garden" environmental.

It is also possible that the maker of OnyX just does not want to deal with Apple's App Store process.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users