Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Any way to fix xp damaged by turning off during checkdisk.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 cat33

cat33

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 PM

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:49 PM

Turned off xp because of a sawing noise. When I turned it back on it started a disk check. When the sawing noise came back on I panicked and turned it off again. Now I am trapped in a boot loop. I had read somewhere that a malfunctioning dvd drive can cause a sawing noise so I disabled the dvd drive and then a few weeks later again the sawing noise came back I should have realized it probably wasn't the dvd drive and I should have enabled it again but I didn't.

Can you buy a bootable drive in the store. I might be doing something wrong when I make a bootable usb drive and I can't take any chances on my windows 7 by testing stuff because it is the only computer that works in my house. Is there any way I can change the boot order so I can use a bootable flash drive. Looks like my xp computer has died. I guess I have to go back to being a one computer household. I guess I'm lucky I got the windows 7 before the xp died.

I tried to take a pic of what it says when I try to click to go into safe mode or any other selection it gives me:

multi(0)rdisk(0)rddisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS and then after drivers the name of a driver and there are lots of thee system32 drivers listed.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cat33

cat33
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 PM

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:41 PM

update:
I used my paper clip to open the dvd drive and put a dvd in it. The light comes on the dvd drive. Does that mean the computer is seeing it even though I disabled it in the computer? I put a dvd in it and when a dvd is in it it will open normally by pressing the button. I still need a paper clip to open it if no dvd is in there. Any hope of using a linux bootable cd?

Edited by cat33, 21 November 2012 - 02:42 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users