Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Moving windows 8 to a different computer

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 lennoxlewis2

lennoxlewis2

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 AM

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:36 AM

I want to ask a question. If i downloaded windows 8 on to my computer, digitally so no CD, and then at a later date when i build my computer, will i be able to some how have the windows 8 from my other computer to the one i will be building? If so, how? Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 AM

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:42 AM

You can save the digital file on a DVD and reinstall it on the new computer. You wont be able to use it on both computers at the same time though.

#3 lennoxlewis2

lennoxlewis2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 AM

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:50 PM

But wouldn't it ask me for an activation key and if i enter it wouldn't it say it is already been used so i can't do it, or? Sorry, just been so long i had to deal with operation systems, still Xp :)

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 AM

Posted 21 November 2012 - 05:09 PM

If you purchase the Windows 8 upgrade, then you can uninstall it from an existing computer and move it to another computer and upgrade that as long as its eligible. If you purchase the full version of Windows 8, you can uninstall and move it to another computer, even if the new computer does not have an OS on it.

On the other hand, if its a license that came with another computer it may get a little trickier.

From what I can tell, you are buying the actual upgrade, so you will be allowed to remove it from an existing and upgrade a different one in the future.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users