Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC Restarts And Freezes

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 joebeaven

joebeaven

• Members
  • 422 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 AM

Posted 21 November 2012 - 05:41 AM

Hi,

I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate. My C drive is a 500GB WD Caviar Blue and my motherboard is an ASUS P5N-E SLI.

Last night my computer restarted unexpectedly and after that it kept going to BSOD, restarting of freezing, usually before Windows had finished loading.

I've tried running checkdisk 5 or 6 times, but every time it's frozen restarted or gone to BSOD before completing.

I've tried loading my Windows 7 system repair disc several times but my computer's always frozen or restarted before completing any repair.

I've tried inserting a new Seagate hard drive and restoring from my back up on an external drive using Acronis TrueImage Home 2010 three times, but the computer was unable to detect my external hard drive despite trying several USB ports and the screen always froze at some point anyway.

Also, for the last couple of months or so, when I've turned my computer on in the morning, the time has been wrong, usually giving a time from between 11pm and 12am the previous evening which may or may not be a clue to what's going on.

Please can someone suggest what I can do to get the computer working again?

Thanks,
Joe

Edited by joebeaven, 21 November 2012 - 10:00 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 AM

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:17 PM

Replace your CMOS battery...then go into the BIOS and reset date/time correctly and elect the "optimal boot options"...save the changes by hitting F10...see if there is improvement.

Louis

#3 joebeaven

joebeaven
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 422 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:24 PM

Hi Louis,

Thanks for the reply. I've replaced the batter and corrected the time in the BIOS. I couldn't see how to elect the "optimal boot options", though. What I've done doesn't seem to have made any difference, unfortunately.

Thanks,
Joe

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,109 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:51 PM

It's the Setup Defaults option, see bottom of 2.3 at http://static.compusa.com/pdf/Asus_P5N-E_SLI_Manual.pdf .

Louis

#5 joebeaven

joebeaven
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 422 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2012 - 01:52 AM

Thanks, I've done that now, but it doesn't seem to have made any difference unfortunately. Is there anything else I can try?

Joe

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,109 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2012 - 12:44 PM

Can you boot into safe mode?

Louis

#7 joebeaven

joebeaven
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 422 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2012 - 04:08 PM

I can sometimes. It depends how long the computer goes before it freezes and restarts. Sometimes it doesn't get to the login screen and sometimes I can be in Windows, either normally or in safe mode, for a few minutes before a freeze or restart.

Joe

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,109 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2012 - 04:47 PM

Sounds like something I know nothing about...you better await some comments from other members :).

Louis

#9 joebeaven

joebeaven
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 422 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2012 - 05:51 AM

OK Louis, thanks for trying. Does anyone else have any suggestions?

I've just run a Memtest. Here are the results: https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/eau/DSCI0005.JPG

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users