Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

easy transfer

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jmtjet

jmtjet

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 AM

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:23 PM

OK, got my new Dell computer with Windows 8. Now I want to transfer my data from my Windows 7 machine to my win 8 machine using an easy transfer cable. I have one question. My win 7 machine is 32 bit, my new win 8 machine is 64 bit, will that be a problem? Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,504 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:04 AM

No, it should not be a problem at all.

#3 jmtjet

jmtjet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:13 AM

Thanks, that's good news. I've been searching the internet for howto's on the transfer, Came up with a lot of different opinions. Any one here done it, and how did you make out? Thanks again.

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,504 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:34 AM

In my experience you should never transfer existing settings. The only thing you should transfer is documents and data. Instead of transferring accounts and settings, just create the new accounts manually on the WIndows 8 machine and just use windows 8 easy transfer to transfer docs. So many things have changed from Windows 7 to Windows 8, that I just wouldn't trust settings to transfer properly.

#5 jmtjet

jmtjet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:19 PM

Good advice. I'll post back and let you know how I make out.

#6 jmtjet

jmtjet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:52 PM

Update, I was unable to use the transfer cable, so I networked the two computers and transferred that way. I still was able to use the windows easy transfer program but, if you are going to use easy transfer be careful as to what get's selected to transfer. After the transfer I have a lot of old programs and dead short cuts that don't work. In conclusion I would have to say that if I had it to do over I would just burn the stuff I wanted to disk and move it that way.

#7 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,504 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2012 - 05:04 PM

Thanks for the feedback. Windows Easy Transfer is great for those who do not have the knowledge to transfer the data themselves. For those with a little more experience, backing up the individual documents to an external drive is definitely the way to go.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users