Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Constant connection reset errors

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bandella

bandella

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 AM

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:42 PM

Hi guys. I am quite honestly at my wit's end here. Basically, no matter what browser I'm using (I get the error in IE, Firefox, and Chrome), it usually takes me 5-6 tries to load any given webpage, and even then most of the time the formatting's screwed up, pictures don't show up, etc. I'm using a new(ish) HP laptop that's maybe about 20 feet from the router. The router itself is hooked up to the desktop computer, which never has this problem. My wifi signal is strong, and the indicator in the tray never drops below "excellent" signal strength even when I'm repeatedly clicking refresh. Power cycling the router doesn't work. I've cleaned out caches and histories, even uninstalled and reinstalled browsers with all necessary updates, and still nothing. I called the cable company that provides my internet and they're convinced it's not on their end. It doesn't matter if anyone else in the house is using the desktop with its net connection at the same time I'm trying to use mine. Theirs works, mine doesn't.

But here's the really weird thing: I had this same problem with my previous laptop. In both cases, I can take the laptop other places (school, coffee shop, etc) and never once experience this issue.

It seems to have cycles where it'll be fine for a little while (maybe hours, maybe days), and then for a few hours or days at a time I just want to give up and go read a book or something.

In IE, I typically get a standard "this page cannot be displayed" type error. In Firefox and Chrome, I tend to get more specific "the connection was reset" errors, often immediately upon hitting refresh. Sometimes the page will try to load, and "Sending request" or a similar message will appear in the status bar before everything craps out. Just as often, the page will appear to be very slowly loading, then parts of it will load but most of it will be an Error 105 message (In Chrome: "Error 105 (net::ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED): Unable to resolve the server's DNS address.") Doesn't matter what page it is. Google, Facebook, my school's library portal, reddit, Amazon, doesn't make a difference.

The only other thing I can possibly think of is that it's the router itself that's bad. It's a generic deal that doesn't even have a name; the manual I had to scour Google for refers to it only as "11g Wireless Security Router." But that still doesn't really tell me why the desktop connection works like it should (unless that connection is completely bypassing the router; I'm rather clueless about these things).

If anyone could help me resolve this maddening issue, I'd be eternally grateful. Also more than happy to provide any other details you might need. Just talk to me like I'm five, though, because it's likely to go over my head if you don't. :)

Edited by bandella, 20 November 2012 - 02:49 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 scurvychef

scurvychef

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:47 PM

Have you tried logging in to the router and toggling between different encryptions to see if it is simply a matter of your computer missing certain WPA or WPA2 features?

#3 bandella

bandella
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:26 PM

Have you tried logging in to the router and toggling between different encryptions to see if it is simply a matter of your computer missing certain WPA or WPA2 features?

Uh. Could you dumb that down for me, please? I don't see any options in the router's admin panel to do anything like that. Then again, I can't get it to even let me set a password for the network, so I'm beginning to suspect it's just a really bad, cheap, generic router at fault here.

#4 scurvychef

scurvychef

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:15 PM

Encryption methods are simply: different ways of scrambling the data you transmit wirelessly.
If you would like to read up: READ THIS WIKI ABOUT WEP, WPA, WPA2

I am thinking that if no one else on the network has problems with the router and if you go elsewhere (a public network) you don't have a problem.
Logic suggests that perhaps you're having a compatibility issue.

Perhaps you could list the devices that you are using (the computers and the router). Use specifics please. Model number, ect...

In my experience service flickers are usually the ISP's fault. They won't admit it to you though. I have dreaded satellite internet, flickers and modem resets are an everyday occurance, but if there is something petty with your configuration maybe, there is a simple solution to rid you of this nuisance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users