Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Error Message

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 RocketP

RocketP

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 PM

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:37 PM

I'd like to start by thanking the team that hosts and supports this site. Awesome.

Home computer has been acting a bit unusual lately, but I'll start with one of what I hope is a simpler problem.

There is a Windows pop-up warning, that says "Windows File Protection"

Inside the window it says

"Files that are required for Windows to run properly have been replaced by unrecognized versions. To maintain system stability, Windows must restore the original versions of these files.

Insert your Windows XP Professional CD2 now."

To the best of my knowledge, this computer didn't come with a CD copy. It is a Dell Dimension E510 running Windows XP Media Center Edition Version 2002 Service pack 3. It has Pentium® 4 CPU 3.20GHz, 3.19 GHZ, 1.00GB of Ram

If I click "retry" it asks for the CD. If I click "more information", it says "possible reasons for this problem: you have inserted wrong CD, or The CD-ROM drive in you system is not functioning."

If I click "cancel" it says "you chose not to restore the original versions of the files. This may affect Windows stability. Are you sure you want to keep these unrecognized file versions?" I have no choice but to click "yes", otherwise it gets stuck in a loop asking for the CD I don't have.

Any advice?

Thanks,

Rocket

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 PM

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:59 PM

Worth a look, http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html .

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users