Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Java Update

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 scurvychef

scurvychef

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 PM

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:26 PM

Hi yall,

Dell inspiron 1545
Win 7 Home Premium
Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials

On my girlfriend's computer I keep getting a Java update notification, I also get a notification saying that Oracle has revoked it's security certificate making me think that this is a Trojan trying to fool me.

I routinely check off the box and ignore it, but it has been popping up every day for a couple months and I just want it to go away.

Any suggestions?

... I tried to get a screen shot of it but wouldn't you know, it doesn't want to pop up now

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Bill 0

Bill 0

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 PM

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:41 PM

You may want to go directly to www.java.com and select the "Do I have Java?" link. If you don't have the current version (version 7, update 9), you can get the latest update directly from them.

Bill

#3 scurvychef

scurvychef
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2012 - 01:14 AM

Hey Bill,

Thanks for the tip. I did as you said, then restarted my browser and BAM! I got the pop up!

Thisa time I managed to get a screen shot for you:

First is the Security Alert Window, when I click on the View Certificate button I then get the window you see on the right
Posted Image

I usually just X them off, but is there a way to get these to go away forever?

Thanks!

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 AM

Posted 22 November 2012 - 01:44 AM

Please read some suggestions from users who have the same issue here. Otherwise reinstall your Java and or use JavaRa to remove all instance of java. I see you have McAfee icon and you mentioned Microsoft Security Essentials...

Tekken

#5 scurvychef

scurvychef
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2012 - 12:41 PM

The McAfee was some junk that my gf downloaded on accident when she was doing something else. It was for a toolbar or a browser add on. It is disabled now though. She goes COUPON HUNTING and it screws everything up!

I only had a chance to skim through the reading you gave me, I agree with those comments concerning disabling the Root Certificate checks. I guess I don't want to do that.

I will try your reinstalll and JavaRa a little later.

Thanks!

#6 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 AM

Posted 23 November 2012 - 01:52 AM

I would remove the toolbar or addon completely from the system by Add or Remove Programs also.

Tekken

#7 scurvychef

scurvychef
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2012 - 12:30 AM

Good thinking! I almost think I have done that already. I spent a considerable amount of time weeding out all the junk she put on there one day. Guess I overlooked the icon, I will dispose of it. I really don't like Mcafee, they shoved it down our throats at college and made us remove all of our antivirus software to use the dorm ethernet. It made me delete my new copy of Norton Ghost I bought right before that! ugh! :angry:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users