Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disposing of old PC

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 k988

k988

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 PM

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:51 PM

Hey, I have an old monitor, optical drive, and desktop tower that I want to get rid of. I figure I can just throw away the optical drive and monitor without any problems but obviously the tower has personal data on it. I've read that even if you format, the data can still be accessed/stolen because the computer just allows that data to be overwritten - it's not actually deleted. So I'm wondering what precautions I need to take before I dispose of the old PC.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:04:26 PM

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:13 PM

Take the hard drive out of the tower. Destroy it. That is what contains the information.

Hard Drive Disposal

If you are disposing of the drive you can take the following steps to make sure that the data on the drive is unreadable.
1.Remove the drive from the computer or its external housing.
2.Use a screw driver to remove the screws from the cover.
3.Put on safety glasses and some heavy work gloves.
4.Carefully use a hammer to smash the platters into little pieces.
5.Dispose of the remains according to your local codes.

http://www.securitybeacon.com/?p=957

Others may offer different methods.

Before you throw your electronics in the trash see if there is an E-Cycle program in your area.

#3 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,993 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 PM

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:33 PM

How sensitive is the data in question? Is it health information or classified information? In these cases, hard-drive destruction may be what you need to do. However, if the data isn't quite as sensitive as that, you may not need to go to that extreme. If you simply reformat the drive, yes, the data can be rather easily retrieved. However, if you do a significant overwriting of the drive up to DoD standards, it would cost a would-be identity thief an incredible amount of money to retrieve any useful information. The chances are quite small.

Here is a PDF article that discusses data destruction and DoD standards: http://www.reclamere.com/uploads/whitePaper-Destroying-Data-the-DoD-Way.pdf

And here is a flow chart that shows degree of data sensitivity and type of data sanitation to use. Note that it says if you physically destroy the hard-drive, you should still over-write the drive first. http://www.oit.umn.edu/security/security-framework/media-sanitization/index.htm

Yes, definitely look into the recycle options. Here, for example, I can take Dell computer components to Staples who sends them back to Dell for refurbishing etc. and it doesn't cost me a cent. Also, I can take all kinds of used functioning computer hardware to the University Surplus., again for no charge. Computer hardware has a lot of hazardous materials in them.

Orange Blossom :cherry:

Edited by Orange Blossom, 20 November 2012 - 02:34 PM.

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#4 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 PM

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:00 AM

I usually take my stuff to the nearest eco-station. I also recommend the hammer test to see if the HDD has read/write errors. My preferred tool is a 6lb hammer.

There are some organizations that export PCs to the poor around the world so that is an option. Moderate level overwriting of HDDs is sufficient. The higher the security of the wipe the longer it takes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users