Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

FBI Scam Virus

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 tmcalver

tmcalver

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 PM

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:35 PM

I've downloaded the FBI pay to unlock my PC virus and I'm at the point I need help.

Running:

Windows Vista Home Basic
Service Pack 2

I have 3 accounts running. My main, one for kids, one for guest.

I am using safe mode and cannot get into my main account. I have to use the account
that I have setup for my kids. I have run Hitman pro and removed some cookies etc. I tried rebooting and still cannot get into my main account.

*Moderator Edit: Moved topic from Vista to the more appropriate forum. ~ Queen-Evie*

Edited by Queen-Evie, 20 November 2012 - 02:20 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Izeo

Izeo

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:58 PM

I had this virus before. I'm not a professional helper or anything, but, when I had this infection, unplugging from the Internet (and turning off your wifi) before booting up prevented the fake FBI screen from loading up.

If this works, this will allow you to run your antivirus and antimalware stuff. In my case, I did a search for ".exe" files "Created" "Within the past 2 days" (whenever you were infected). I found the EXE somewhere in My Documents/Local Settings blah blah. It had a random string of characters for the filename, like wifhshgpia.exe .. deleted it and that was a major step of cleaning that infection.

#3 tmcalver

tmcalver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:01 PM

Hmm. Thanks. I forgot to mention I'm on a laptop. Going to look how to shut off wifi before I startup. Thanks for the help !!!

#4 tmcalver

tmcalver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:12 PM

Ok. Tried shutting of WiFi and the wireless on my laptop. Restarted...I get a white screen blocking me from seeing or doing anything.

#5 bloopie

bloopie

Bleepin' Sith Turner

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,927 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 PM

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:23 PM

Hi tmcalver, and welcome to BC! :thumbsup:

Have you tried the steps listed on this page?

Let me know how it goes!

bloopie

#6 tmcalver

tmcalver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:09 AM

Hi Bloopie !

I'll have to read through it. This is what I did last night.

I was able to get onto the "Kids" account. Windows Defender picked up on a Win32/Xpaj.j virus. I went ahead and had it removed.
At the same time, I was able to update and run Malware Bytes. If found a few things (didn't print the report) and I had it clean my PC.

In the meantime, Windows Defender picked up on 60 items of Win32/Xpaj.j and .b. I'm cleaning the PC now....Let me see what happens this morning.

When I ran defender and cleaned it the first time, I was able to log back into my main account.

Tom

#7 bloopie

bloopie

Bleepin' Sith Turner

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,927 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:33 AM

Good to hear at least your logging in now.

Follow the steps in the guide, and let me know if you need any help. :)

bloopie

#8 tmcalver

tmcalver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:55 AM

Ok...looks like I'm all clean. The Emergency Kit picked up on 4 more things that Defender and MalwareBytes did not.

Everything is back to normal. Thank you !!!!

#9 bloopie

bloopie

Bleepin' Sith Turner

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,927 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:06 PM

Glad you got it sorted out! :thumbup2:

Since your original issue seems to be resolved, I'm closing this topic to avoid confusion.

Everyone else, please begin a new topic.

Thanks,

bloopie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users