Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

login redirected to temp user space

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 HakaTu

HakaTu

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 PM

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:16 PM

When I attempt to log into my windows 7 user account the login is redirected to a temp user space.. The error message indicates that the reason for the redirection is because the my user account is in use. Only user active is my account, still maintain administrator privileges, but don't have default browser/home site, and files created are lost unless I deliberately place them into my default directories. Updated MS, rebooted, ran Avast boot scan and Malwarebytes scan (with Avast antiviral disabled), nothing was found.
I did manually reset the default file locations for the temp guest user to my corresponding home folders, and my home login did come back up once with full functionality, but when I ran an AV boot time scan and tried to log in again it was back to the guest area. Reset the file/folder locations again but this time had no effect. Ran MS fixit program, said all errors corrected, NOT.
How do I reset my account to Not In Use??
Why did this happened?, do I have a hacker/virus? Active full version of Avast logs show no attacks what so ever.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 scurvychef

scurvychef

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 PM

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:30 PM

Are you on a VPN or a Cloud based account?

#3 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:20 PM

Can you explain us the exact error you have? Do you get something like you have been logged into a temporary profile?

#4 HakaTu

HakaTu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 PM

Posted 22 November 2012 - 11:20 AM

sorry for the slow reply.

scurvychef: there are only 2 wireless accesses set up on this computer, my home and my RU access, neither uses VPN or a cloud service as far as I know. I do access a web site (webassign) through RU link to do homework, and was at one point right before this problem started logged into that site on 2 computers (at home) at the same time and linked to the same homework assignment. Didn't appear to cause any problem with the access, and was on that site last night with no problem (from the second laptop that is not experiencing any login problems).
I don't believe this is related to the problem since it did not start happening until a few days later with multiple successful log ins in between.
Response below is from RU FAQ on wireless access:
RUWireless no longer requires a VPN because it was deemed unneccessary since most all central services now require application layer security via SSH and SSL.

narenxp: Yes, here is the exact message that comes up on the desktop:
You have been logged on with a temporary profile. You cannot access your files and files created on this profile will be deleted when you log off. To fix this log off and try logging on later. ...see event log for details...

The Application event log contain these 5 error entries associate with the attempted log in -- in the order they were entered:
Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error calling routine ConvertStringSidToSid(... .bak). The security ID structure is invalid.

Window was unable to load the registry. This problem is often caused by insufficient memory or insufficient security rights.
DETAIL - The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process for \Users\Kevin\ntuser.dat --- I was not able to look at the file with Windows manually either

Windows cannot load the locally stored profile. Possible causes of the error include insufficient security rights of a corrupt local profile
DETAIL - The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.

Windows has backed up this use profile. Window will automatically try to use the backup profile the next time this user logs on.

Windows cannot find the local profile and is logging you on with a temporary profile. Changes you make to this profile will be lost when you log off.

Edited by HakaTu, 22 November 2012 - 11:32 AM.

#5 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2012 - 11:34 PM

I can help you solve this but i do not want you to run any other fixes when i'm helping you.Boot into safemode with networking you should be able to login normally.

What is the name of the corrupted profile?

Go to C:\users folder and check the name of the folder.I want you to create a new account and let me know if you are ready.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users