Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Front Headphone Jack Has Stopped Working

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ultimatetwang

ultimatetwang

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 AM

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:58 PM

Not sure what happened. Yesterday, I tried to switch outputs from the OE sound card to one that I added. Speakers worked fine, but the front headphone jack quit working. However, when I switched the settings back, then they began working, again. Now, today, nothing's been touched, but the front headphone jack is not working. Any thoughts or ideas? It's an EMachines PC, unsure of exact model, but about 5 years old, w/the 160gb harddrive.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Hadnjury

Hadnjury

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 AM

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:39 PM

Hello,

Did you install drivers for the new sound card you added? It is most likely a driver conflict.
Some people think technology has the answers - Kevin Mitnick

#3 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 PM

Posted 22 November 2012 - 01:03 AM

There should be a setting usually Speakers and Headphones to be set or enabled as default on playback devices.

Tekken

#4 ultimatetwang

ultimatetwang
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2012 - 08:58 PM

The sound card has been in the computer for awhile; I had added the drivers when I installed it.

#5 lti

lti

• Members
  • 581 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 AM

Posted 23 November 2012 - 03:58 PM

It sounds like the headphone jack is connected to the old sound card and not the new one.

#6 ultimatetwang

ultimatetwang
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2012 - 12:24 PM

I think it is, though I'm back to using the old sound card, but still no headphone sounds.

#7 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 PM

Posted 24 November 2012 - 02:55 PM

I'm not certain but don't you have to have a card that supports audio to the front panel and hard wire from the new card to the panel? The working/not working may simply have been due to messing around between the two cards. All the time the front panel has been connected to the old card?

Edit: Follow the wires back from the front panel and see what they are connected to.

Edited by Nanobyte, 24 November 2012 - 03:26 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users