Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

computer freezing, mouse cursor disappearing or moving erratically

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 kimba725

kimba725

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 PM

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:04 AM

Hi,
I have windows vista.
A couple of weeks ago someone on here assisted me with my computer. I had search engine redirect, along with other problems.
It was okay for awhile but then all of a sudden it started working very badly now. One thing is norton 360 seemed to disappear from my computer. I got directions and uninstalled norton and then reinstalled it again, now the norton seems to be working okay.
But since then, the mouse cursor has been moving erratically, totally disappearing and freezing up the whole screen. The screen keeps flashing to blank screens or my previous screen for a few seconds and then coming back to the screen I am on. It is having problems restarting alot of times and sometimes I can not even do anything before it freezes. I have started it in safe mode with networking and still seemed to have the same problems. The mouse pointer was still moving erratically and not working well. Just in the time that I have typed this so far the screen has flashed to a previous screen 4 times.
I have run norton scans and I dont think it is finding to much but tracking cookies.
Any other help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Kim

Edited by kimba725, 20 November 2012 - 05:44 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,176 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 PM

Posted 25 November 2012 - 12:10 AM

Hello Kim,,, may be having a hard drive beginning to fail or file corruption. I would recommend immediate backupo of important files in case. Probably not a malware issue. So I 'd run SFC and if you still hae trouble ask this in Vista and they can check your drive and other things.

Please run SFC (System File Checker)
Please run System File Checker sfc /scannow... For more information on this tool see How To Use Sfc.exe To Repair System Files

NOTE for Vista/WIN 7 users..The command needs to be run from an Elevated Command Prompt.Click Start, type cmd into the Start/Search box,
right-click cmd.exe in the list above and select 'Run as Administrator'

You will need your operating system CD handy.

Open Windows Task Manager....by pressing CTRL+SHIFT+ESC

Then click File.. then New Task(Run)

In the box that opens type sfc /scannow ......There is a space between c and /

Click OK

Let it run and insert the CD when asked.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 kimba725

kimba725
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 PM

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:41 AM

Thank you for your help, I think my hard drive has failed and will have to get a new one.

Appreciate your response.

Thanks
Kim

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,176 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 PM

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:35 PM

Your welcome!
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users