Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What Can I Add To My Computer To Improve Performance?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Marz

Marz

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 PM

Posted 23 March 2006 - 12:08 PM

From'System' under control panel...

AMD Duron
1.67GHz
512 MB of RAM

I have a load of computer boards of every type hiding away in the attic, but I don't have a clue what to put in my computer. I mainly use a heavy java application on this computer and use XP Prof., if that means anything.

So what would be helpful to put in my computer? RAM? Memory? A new processor?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,752 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 PM

Posted 23 March 2006 - 12:50 PM

Hi marz, the Duron has been around since 2000, how old is your machine?

The number one item that can be done to improve a computers performance is to add more RAM. At 512MB of RAM you would notice an increase in perormance if you were to add another 256MB or 512MB. If you have extra modules hanging around in your attic, by all means go for it, but if you are going to have to purchase more RAM it could get to be expensive and a poor investment, depending on the computers age. The Duron has been around since 2000, and used PC100 or PC133. I was given a computer which has a motheboard that has PC100, and I looked into adding more RAM, and quickly discovered that for another hundred dollars I could buy another motherboard, CPU, and 512MB of RAM, and would have a much better computer.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 PM

Posted 23 March 2006 - 07:26 PM

Bump up to 1 gb of RAM. What video card are you using. Step up your video card. What is you motherboard make and model? We can help determine if you can upgrade your chip.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users