Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question of Privacy

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 tarheel23

tarheel23

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 AM

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:19 AM

I recently had the hard drive die on my HP Windows 7 PC and will have to take it to a repair place to have a new one installed because I can't seem to get the new drive I bought to work for some reason. My only concern is that the computer had some rather racy photos and videos I made with my wife saved on it.

I know that those pics/videos were saved on the now disposed-of hard drive, but can any of that stuff be recovered from the parts of the computer (such as RAM) that I'll be bringing to the repair shop? I've heard so many nightmare stories from people that I just want to make sure our privacy won't be compromised. My wife and I both have very public jobs.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 AM

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:05 AM

I do a fair number of jobs like this.

By attempting to turn it on with a new drive attached, you probably flushed everything.

Make sure that no other drives or flash keys are connected to the computer. If you ever had other drives connected at the same time as the 'special' drive, they may have the data on them in things like paging files or backups. Make sure any optical drives do not have disks in them. Unplug the power and press the power button to make sure all power is drained from the capacitors in the system. Turn it on with no drive connected and let it give you an error then turn it off. Unplug the power then hold the power button in to drain it again.

Reading the data from the RAM usually requires you to have viewed the images and then within a short time after power is removed from the computer (some say 20 minutes for standard forensic equipment) pull the RAM and read it cold. If you have powered it on several times without looking at the images the RAM should be clean.

If you are worried about a well funded government or large media organization accessing the data, you must destroy the platters inside the hard drive completely or it can be at least partially recovered with things like spin stand microscopy techniques.

I advise my clients who are 'personalities' to never type, save or visit anything on a computer that they would not want to see their name associated with on the front page of the newspaper.

My lawyer friends say that the 'e' in email stands for 'evidence'.

James

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 AM

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:23 AM

Whatever is on the hard drive...is on the hard drive. No other system component stores data files "permanently" or can handle temporarily store file data with size. Video files are quite large, so, in effect...no other component could store them.

Data can be recovered from a working hard drive...it's not clear to me where the hard drive is...whether you want to attempt to recover or erase data...it's not clear to me what your question is all about.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users