Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Display Goes Blank When Win Xp Loads

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Charlie Brown

Charlie Brown

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 PM

Posted 23 March 2006 - 11:33 AM

This computer is an eMachine running Win XP Home. It was working fine until the owner tried to install an LCD monitor. They said they changed some settings which they didn't understand.

Now the screen is blank after POST and the initial Windows loading screen. The HDD can be heard running as it is continuing to load the OS. There is no flickering or anything. Completely blank. The monitor is getting a signal as it does not go into standby like when there isn't one.

I have tried to go into Safe Mode, but it hangs after loading mup.sys from the windows\system32 directory.

I have also tried to load setup in order to use Recovery Consol, but it gets a STOP error.

Any ideas before I wipe this thing clean and start from scratch?

Thanks,
Charlie

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2006 - 01:52 PM

Use safe mode to look at the settings in "Display" in the control panel (or right clicking on the desktop and choosing "properties".

They may have changed the resolution to something the monitor is not capable of and also see if the video card has a way to access its settings.

Edited by Enthusiast, 23 March 2006 - 01:52 PM.

#3 Charlie Brown

Charlie Brown
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2006 - 03:38 PM

Now the screen is blank after POST and the initial Windows loading screen...I have tried to go into Safe Mode, but it hangs after loading mup.sys from the windows\system32 directory...I have also tried to load setup in order to use Recovery Consol, but it gets a STOP error.

Thanks for the reply, Enthusiast, but all I have is a blank screen. Can't see to do any of that.

I have been able to get into Recoery Console, but not sure how to change video settings from there. Ran a CHKDSK and repaired some stuff, but it still goes blank.

Any other suggestions?

Charlie

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2006 - 03:48 PM

Do you have a crt monitor you can hook it up to?

If so try it and see if it still comes up black after the bios loads.

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2006 - 03:54 PM

Do they have any idea of what settings they changed - or what they did to access the settings?

Finding out what they did in order to access the settings may tell us what settings were changed and how to go about resetting them.

Safe mode loads just basic drivers so changing the settings on the video card shouldn't stop the basic display in safe mode.

Is the video card a seperate card either an agp or pci card, or is it incorporated on the motherboard?

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2006 - 04:09 PM

Try one more thing:

If you are using a PS2 mouse substitute a USB mouse and see if it boots, or boot without the mouse entirely and see if it boots.

See the following:
http://www.computing.net/windowsxp/wwwboard/forum/97354.html

#7 Charlie Brown

Charlie Brown
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2006 - 04:32 PM

Do you have a crt monitor you can hook it up to?

If so try it and see if it still comes up black after the bios loads.

Yep. Using my own monitor which I know for a fact works. There is an image of the POST and the initial Windows XP loading screen, then goes blank.

Charlie

#8 Charlie Brown

Charlie Brown
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2006 - 04:35 PM

Do they have any idea of what settings they changed - or what they did to access the settings?

Finding out what they did in order to access the settings may tell us what settings were changed and how to go about resetting them.

Safe mode loads just basic drivers so changing the settings on the video card shouldn't stop the basic display in safe mode.

Is the video card a seperate card either an agp or pci card, or is it incorporated on the motherboard?

They don't remember what they did. Said a window prompted them and they just clicked "OK". They don't remember what the prompt was. Nor do they know what happened. I am thinking it was a warning about incompatable drivers want to confirm install anyway or something.

I'd liek to get into safe mode just to be able to use some other utilities and check other settings.

The video card is integrated into the MB.

TYVM,
Charlie

Edited by Charlie Brown, 23 March 2006 - 04:37 PM.

#9 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2006 - 04:46 PM

Even if they loaded some kind of incompatable video driver I'm thinking it shouldn't load in safe mode.

Go through the bios setup screens to make sure the onboard video adapter wasn't disabled.

Edited by Enthusiast, 23 March 2006 - 04:47 PM.

#10 Charlie Brown

Charlie Brown
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2006 - 05:00 PM

Try one more thing:

If you are using a PS2 mouse substitute a USB mouse and see if it boots, or boot without the mouse entirely and see if it boots.

See the following:
http://www.computing.net/windowsxp/wwwboard/forum/97354.html

That didn't work either. :thumbsup:

I moved the memory from one slot to another like mentioned in the post you linked to. That didn't help either. :flowers:

Is there any log or utility to see what it hanging up?

Charlie

#11 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2006 - 05:26 PM

The next file which is supposed to load is NDIS.SYS which may be what's hanging the system.

Did you try "last known good configuration" in the setup screen?

#12 Charlie Brown

Charlie Brown
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2006 - 04:41 PM

Sorry for the delay in getting back to this. I was out of town.

Yes. I did try "Last Known..." and it does the same.

The customer has given me the "Go Ahead" to format and recover the factory image. So, unless you have any other ideas, I'm going to start from scratch. I will not have time to work on this PC for a day or two, so if you have any other ideas post them, I will check this thread before I wipe it clean.

:thumbsup: Thank you SO much for your assistance.

Charlie

#13 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2006 - 04:46 PM

Try installing an agp or pci video card and disabling the onboard video adapter.

#14 Charlie Brown

Charlie Brown
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2006 - 08:34 PM

That's a great idea!

Unfortunately, the only spare card I have is an AGP, this MB doesn't have an AGP slot.

#15 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2006 - 09:27 PM

That may be the only fix. They may have blown the video adapter by overdriving it because safe mode loads just the basic vga driver and if the adapter was good it should work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users