Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

laptop screen not working?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 computerfunguy

computerfunguy

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 PM

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:56 PM

i am working on a buddie's laptop HP. his screen is not working. The laptop turns on but the screen remains off(black). She said she had another computer guy look at it and that they said the "bulb" went out. They must been the backlight. So , just got the laptop. the first thing i did was try an external monitor and that did not work either? So does that mean it is not the backlight but the video card? How do i test the backlight to know if that is thhe problem? BUT why is the video card not working as well? any info and/or help would be great! Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 scurvychef

scurvychef

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:15 AM

So computerfunguy, I would say that you are correct.

if the lights on the motherboard come on but you have a black screen, external monitor is no dice... it is likely a graphics issue, very common problem with hp and compaq laptops. There was actually a class action lawsuit between Nvidia and consumers based on the faulty graphic cards and heat sinks. You see, the heat sink is not capible of dispersing the heat from the GPU and thus it overheats and bubbles out of the board. Unfortunately, you are past the warranty for the lawsuit. but there is a smidge of hope:

If you are up to the challenge then you caan attempt to reflow the video card. there are several tutorials on youtube that will show you how to reflow it. (basically resolder the GPU to the motherboard with your kitchen oven) Some have good luck with this a long term fix while others don't have much long term success. I would reccomend that you do some research, some people put in copper shims. I even seem one kid bore out custom ventalation pores in the bottom of the laptop case.

Good luck. Let me know how you make out. Or if you have questions!

#3 computerfunguy

computerfunguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:13 AM

yea the video card is not working when i hook up an external monitor. she siad she had someone told her it was the backlight? but im thinking the video card. OR i guess it might be both. Whn a video card goes out in a laptop, not only does an external monitir not work but the lsptop screen will not work as well right? Is an HP video card replacement easy to do? how do i check to see if the bulb is burnt out as well?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users