Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Inconsistent booting across a variety of hardware and OS

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Zane M.

Zane M.

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 PM

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:05 PM

I have a problem that has been plaguing me for over a year now. When booting my system will get to the Windows loading screen and either restart, or freeze. It usually does this 1 or 2 times (sometimes more, sometimes not at all) and then will boot. Once past the loading screen I have never encountered any problems. The problem began after installing a wealth of new hardware. However, I have narrowed the problem down to most likely being the motherboard. I have experienced the issue with 3 different HDDs (two PATA, one SATA) and 3 different OSs (all Windows), as well as 2 different video cards. Additionally, I have tried every RAM configuration possible with what I have available to me.

I was able to tolerate this problem because my PC would boot after a few tries until now, but after upgrading to Windows 8 the System Repair utility has completely stopped me from being able to boot. Worst of all the problem yields no BSOD or error of any kind.

I would really appreciate any help or suggestions on where to even start looking for a cause of this problem. I have somewhat already resolved myself to the fact that I am going to need to buy a new Mobo, but I would just like some assurance that it is the root cause of the problem and that replacing it will fix the issue.

My current system configuration is as below:

MB: ASUS M4A87TD/USB3
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz
VC: MSI R5770 Hawk Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5
RAM: G.SKILL F3-12800CL9D DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) (2GB x 2)
PRIMARY HDD: Western Digital WD Green WD3200AZRX 320GB IntelliPower SATA 6.0Gb/s
SECONDARY HDD: Western Digital WD Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s
PSU: Antec BP550 Plus 550W Continuous Power ATX12V V2.2
SOUND: ASUS XONAR_DG 5.1

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 PM

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:26 AM

PSU: Antec BP550 Plus 550W Continuous Power ATX12V V2.2

Looking over the steps you have taken in resolving your issues would lead to either the Mobo or the PSU as the next culprit. Sure you could borrow one of atleast greater or same wattage atleast?

Tekken

#3 Zane M.

Zane M.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:52 PM

I don't think it is the PSU, as I had about half of the parts from this machine (including the video card) in another machine with a lower wattage PSU and never had any problems. Additionally I feel like if it was the PSU it would be causing problems while the system was running, not just at boot time. The best possible explanation I can come up with is that there may be some sort of driver issue or conflict, as it is the only thing that could explain why I only have problems when Windows is loading, but no other time.

Additionally, I ran about 18 passes of Memtest last night with no errors, so I highly doubt the RAM is at fault.

edit:
I uploaded the SrtTrail.txt file that the Startup Repair utility created.Attached File  SrtTrail.txt   11.04KB   2 downloads

Edited by Zane M., 20 November 2012 - 02:15 PM.

#4 Zane M.

Zane M.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:21 PM

I have also tested booting into Ubuntu from a USB stick and it has no problems doing so.

#5 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 PM

Posted 22 November 2012 - 01:31 AM

I have not used or tested the Windows 8 OS, perhaps it could get more attention under the Windows 8 section of BC by reposting there and providing a link from this thread.

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users