Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

netbook wont start

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 origamiguy

origamiguy

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 AM

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:49 PM

net book wont start. i turn it on and it says this----

"status 0xC000000F windows failed to start. a recent hardware or software change might be the cause."

this is on a acer aspire 1 netbook. it asks for a disk to repair it but the net book does not have a cd drive.

any suggestions

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,923 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 PM

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:29 PM

Hello,what is the Operating System?? XP,Vista ,7 etc...
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 origamiguy

origamiguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:49 PM

i believe it is windows 7

i believe it is windows 7

MOD EDIT:Moved to windows 7

Edited by boopme, 19 November 2012 - 11:57 PM.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,923 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 PM

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:08 AM

Mod Bump
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 scurvychef

scurvychef

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:06 PM

Doesn't look like you are the only one with this problem.. THIS window's forum should give you some help.

Seems as though your file system is broken. As you read on.. you will see that they did it with a netbook as well, you will need a 4G USB drive though

#6 origamiguy

origamiguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:06 PM

thanks for the link. i will try it out and let you know how it goes

#7 origamiguy

origamiguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2012 - 12:56 AM

ok so.... i got the system repair all setup on my flash drive. thanks for the help. i only have one question left.

i am running win7 32 bit and the net book has win7 starter. is there a difference as far as the repair disk is concerned? will it hurt anything? if so is there a downloadable repair disk for starter?

thanks for all your help

#8 origamiguy

origamiguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2012 - 06:40 PM

ok so i attempted to run the disk repair i made from the link in a previous comment but it isnt working. i even ran ckhdsk on the c drive a few times and showed nothing wrong. i did run the same thing on the d drive and it stared to delete indexed (something). i got out of it because i didnt know what it was deleting.

also before it gives the original error above it says the it cant find the NIC. not sure if it matters.

if someone can get back to me quickly i would appreciate it. thanks

#9 origamiguy

origamiguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:17 PM

yeah,i agree it, Seems as though your file system is broken. As you read on.. you will see that they did it with a netbook as well, you will need a 4G USB drive though :)

did what with a netbook? i already did the stuff with the flash drive.

Moderator edit to fix small problem
By Roger

Edited by rotor123, 18 December 2012 - 02:46 PM.

#10 scurvychef

scurvychef

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2012 - 12:01 AM

Origami: Rosskings was simply quoting me earlier....

sorry I have been busy wit hthe holidays.. allow me to clarify.

save the 32 bit Windows 7 repair disc as an image to your 4gig or larger flash drive.

once completed, you have to boot from the drive: so shut the computer off.. as soon as you turn it on, you have to enter the setup menu. to do this press F2 or what ever the first screen tells you is the correct button. You may only have a second or 2 to do this. so don't be bothered if you have to restart it again to get it right.

once you are in setup, you have to look for something called boot order or sequence or something like that.. change the values so the computer boots from the USB Flash drive FIRST. save settings and power off the computer.

Plug in the flash drive and power it back on: the system will then read the flash drive when it turns on before it boots the hard drive. Follow the instructions in the disc's menu and you will see that there is an option to repair the file system. you probably don't want to do a complete reinstall unless you are prepaired to fix the drivers and reinstall any media on the machine. REGAURDLESS: I highly encourage you to back up any data before attempting any of this! if the repair goes bad , you might have to reinstall the file system anyway. better to be safe than sorry!

Good luck and please report back! :thumbup2:

#11 origamiguy

origamiguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2012 - 03:04 AM

right. i have done all of this but the "repair startup" selection runs and then errors out. never completes successfully.

#12 scurvychef

scurvychef

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2012 - 03:55 PM

you might want to reformat completely then...

#13 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 AM

Posted 25 November 2012 - 06:11 PM

Let's see if you can get a look at a BSOD error message on startup:

Please do the following:
(the screenshots are from Windows XP, but things will be essentially the same in Windows 7)

Get a look at the error message presented by the BSOD (blue screen of death) ....
  • Start tapping the F8 key after you press the ON button, and continue tapping until you are presented with the "Advanced Boot Options" menu screen.

Posted Image
  • Use the UP/DOWN arrow keys to select "Disable automatic restart on system failure" and press the <ENTER> key.
  • Your system will attempt to start normally, but when it crashes, it will not re-start: Instead, you will see a BSOD with error message.

Posted Image
  • Record the error message details (contained in the areas outlined in red, in the above example image), and post in your reply.
=========================
From what you have posted:

i even ran ckhdsk on the c drive a few times and showed nothing wrong. i did run the same thing on the d drive and it stared to delete indexed (something). i got out of it because i didnt know what it was deleting.

The disk file-system may be corrupt, and this in turn may be caused by a failing hard drive. Before you take any further steps, it would be wise to take a look at the condition of the hard drive.

Let's have a look at the hard drive's S.M.A.R.T. data.

On a working computer, please download the latest version of PartedMagic:
Write (in the appropriate manner) the downloaded .iso file to either CD or USB/flashdrive:
Boot the problematic computer from the PartedMagic CD or flashdrive:
  • At the first menu with Default settings (Runs from RAM) selected, press <ENTER>.
    Be patient while PartedMagic loads into memory, and then displays its Desktop.
Success? Let me know if you can successfully boot to the Desktop of PartedMagic.

Posted Image
The Desktop of PartedMagic (version 2012-08-09)

At the PartedMagic Desktop:
  • Double-click the Disk Health icon on the Desktop.
  • In the GSmartControl window that opens, double-click on the device that represents the hard drive.
  • In the Device Information window that opens, click View Output.
    A Smartctl Output window will open.
  • Right-click in the text output > Select All.
  • Right-click in the selected area > Copy.
In the next step you will paste this text into your topic reply.
  • Double-click on the Firefox icon to open the Firefox browser window.
  • Enter the BC forums address www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums in the address box and press <ENTER>.
  • Sign in to the forums and locate your topic.
  • Paste the text from the Smartctl Output window in a reply to your topic.

Note: Please enclose the pasted report in CODE tags so that the spacing/formatting is preserved.
  • Firstly, click on the "Insert code snippet" button Posted Image
  • You will then see the "start" and "end" code tags (highlighted in dark blue/selected in the image) in the text box.
  • Click between the two tags to insert the cursor between the tags and then press <Ctrl+V> to paste the report there.
=========================
If you have important personal files on the system that you don't already have backed up elsewhere, take this opportunity to attempt to retrieve copies of those files to another device. Let me know if you have any problems doing this, and report any errors that you may see.

• Double-click the File Manager icon on the Desktop.
  • In the window that opens, you will see listed the partitions of the problematic hard drive (sda1, sda2 etc).
  • Locate the partition from which you wish to copy files.
  • Copy your files to another device (flashdrive or external hard drive).
[/list]

Edited by AustrAlien, 25 November 2012 - 06:22 PM.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#14 origamiguy

origamiguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2012 - 08:41 PM

ummm, so yeah. i try to use F8 to get to the Advanced Options menu and the computer loudly beeps at me and does nothing. just takes me back to boot loading options... should i still try to use parted magic on it?

#15 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 AM

Posted 25 November 2012 - 08:46 PM

Yes please. If tapping F8 does not get you to the Advanced Options Menu, it may be that the MBR (Master Boot Record) is corrupt. We can have a look at the MBR using PartedMagic, and will do that after getting a look at the hard drive's condition.
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users