Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Another 'I ran combofix without supervision' problem

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 TonyCman

TonyCman

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 PM

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:02 PM

Hi BC folks

I ran Combofix on a friend's laptop whilst he was in hospital in an attempt to help out (it was running really slowly) but I think I have really screwed things up instead.

He had a lot of software installed on his machine which he has lost the original discs for and this has all stopped working - this sofware cost thousands to buy and he is not very happy to say the least.

Also we can't get online with this machine so can't d/l anything onto the machine in order to create log files, but do have a working PC and USB memory stick.

I now realise that I did a very silly thing by running combofix unsupervised and I feel really bad about this and I am trying very hard to put it right, so I would really appreciate any help you guys could give me. Sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong place but I thought I should pitch straight in with my dilemma!!!

Thanks in advance for any help you are able to give - looking forward to hearing from you.

TC

Edited by hamluis, 19 November 2012 - 05:09 PM.
Moved from XP to AV, Firewall, etc. - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,900 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 PM

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:38 PM

ComboFix usage, Questions, Help - Look here - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic273628.html

Louis

#3 TonyCman

TonyCman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:29 AM

Hi Louise

Thanks for your reply - all I can say is if only I had read that before :oopsign:

I really hope someone can offer me some help though as I have upset a good friend and I am desperate to try to make amends although it's looking a bit hopeless judging by what I have just read on that page...

Is there any way I can just get the laptop running normally? Unfortunately I don't have the original OEM XP installation discs but if I could at least get XP going again and get back online that would be a start and with a bit of luck there may be a way to re-install the lost software if he can locate the discs.

I can imagine that you get very frustrated when you see someone doing this despite all the warnings and I realise that I made a huge f*** up but I could really use some help so if you can please give me some of your time I would be very grateful for that.

Best wishes

TC

Edited by TonyCman, 20 November 2012 - 03:31 AM.

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 AM

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:54 PM

From the instructions -

ComboFix is now preparing to run. When it has finished ComboFix will automatically attempt to create a System Restore point so that if any problems occur while using the program you can restore back to your previous configuration. When ComboFix has finished creating the restore point, it will then backup your Windows Registry.
Once the Windows Registry has finished being backed up, ComboFix will attempt to detect if you have the Windows Recovery Console installed.

Did you follow or read any of these instructions ?? There should be a Restore Point set at the time you were about to use ComboFix -

Go - Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore > Restore my computer to an earlier time, and click Next -
You should have a point at the date you ran the program.
Click on that date and select to restore from there - Your computer will need to reboot during this process, so be sure all items are saved -

See how that goes -

#5 TonyCman

TonyCman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:21 AM

Hi Nokojon

Thanks for your reply

I did try system restore but I got an error message reading:

System Restore is not able to help your comuter. Please restart your computer , and then run system restore again.

Unfortunately if I do as the error message suggests I just get the same message again

#6 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 AM

Posted 21 November 2012 - 05:05 AM

Hi -
Unless another person can help, I see this as your option -
Your system should have the Windows Recovery Console installed, but this is not the place to spend time on it -
Please follow the instructions in ==>This Guide<== do steps :step6: to :step9:
You may be able to use the USB stick to transfer programs and results between the 2 computers -
Once any proper logs are created, then make a NEW TOPIC and post it ==>HERE<== Please include the link to this topic in your new topic and a description of your computer issues and what you have done to resolve them.

If you can produce at least some of the logs, then please create the new topic and explain what happens when you try to create the log(s) that you couldn't get.
If you cannot produce any of the logs, then still post the topic and explain that you followed the Prep. Guide, were unable to create the logs, and describe what happens when you try to create the logs.

If HelpBot replies to your topic, PLEASE follow Step One so it will report your topic to the team members.

Regards -

#7 TonyCman

TonyCman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:30 PM

Thanks Noknojon

I have posted a new topic as directed

Hoping for the best now

Thanks again

TC

#8 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,337 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 AM

Posted 22 November 2012 - 03:18 PM

Now that your log is properly posted, here, you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a Malware Removal Team member, nor should you continue to ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show it the logs you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the helper assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.

From this point on the Malware Removal Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response because the Malware Removal Team members are very busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post and are waiting, please DO NOT make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the Malware Removal Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another Malware Removal Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.

To avoid confusion, I am closing this topic.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users