Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard drive Partition

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Alister Harper

Alister Harper

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 PM

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:56 PM

Hi there guys

I have been on google and trying to find an answer to my question and i have had no luck so i thought i would ask in here in the hope to get some help please.

I want to format my laptop and need to know how big to make the partition a hard drive so that when you go into my computer you would see two hard drives???

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 AM

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:36 PM

Well...how large is your current hard drive?

You may not have to format to attain what you want...if you currently just have one partition and plenty of free space on it, you can just create a second partition, while reducing the size of the first.

Go start/Run...type diskmgmt.msc and hit Enter. Take a screenshot and post it in your next pass this way.

How To Capture And Edit A Screen Shot - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic43088.html/page__gopid__2493350

Louis

#3 scurvychef

scurvychef

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 PM

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:10 PM

most of your installation media should have a partition editor. Just be sure that you are installing the new media on the correct drive.

For instance: if you have Windows 7 on your 250G hard drive, and you want it to dual boot with Ubuntu. Simpily insertyour Ubuntu disk in the ROM drive. boot from it and the installation wizard will ask you if you want to:

1. Replace windows with Ubuntu
2. install Ubuntu beside Windows 7

The Obvious answer would be to install beside Win 7. The wizard will then ask you how you would like to delegate the partion:
Examples given:

80g Ubuntu and 150g Windows

110 g Ubuntu and 110 g windows

(notice the values will not add up to 250 do to recovery partitions delegated for windows or even a factory image.)

Hope this helps. Of course it depends mostly what you plan to do with the second partition. Of Course depending on how big the disk is (as Hamluis mentions above) will indicate whether or not a dual boot in advantageous on your system

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users