Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hyper Threading/dual Core Processors

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 PM

Posted 23 March 2006 - 09:06 AM

How does dual core/hyper threading work? The way I understand it is that it doesn't make any one program (or game) run any faster than a single processor, but if you have more than one program running, then each program would run like it was the only program running...as compared to having to have a single processor run two programs at the same time.

I've also been told that in order for a program (game or whatever) to actually utillize the hyperthreading/dual core processors, that the program has to support it, or it may cause conflicts and possibly crash the program.

I'm just wondering how HT/Dual core works, because I'm asked that alot, and also asked if buying a dual core for a gaming system or a non gaming system is actually worth the extra money, or if it would be better spent buying a faster single processor. I'm usually stumped by that question.

Thanks for the help!
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2006 - 02:19 PM

Mod Bump
Posted Image

#3 ComputerWhizz7

ComputerWhizz7

• Members
  • 408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 AM

Posted 08 April 2006 - 04:17 PM

Take a look at this webpage.

http://www.short-media.com/review.php?r=261
I came, I saw, I conquered. - Julius Caeser

#4 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 AM

Posted 08 April 2006 - 05:14 PM

Is my memory failing me or didin't I write an answer on this topic a while back?
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#5 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2006 - 10:31 PM

Is my memory failing me or didin't I write an answer on this topic a while back?

I believe you did, and you posted a link to a flash video that explained it rather well, but I believe that it was a from a topic that another user started! I'm ok now, I believe that I have this topic answered!

Thanks everyone!
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#6 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 AM

Posted 09 April 2006 - 03:33 AM

Oh, okay then. It just sounded so familiar.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#7 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2006 - 11:48 AM

Oh, okay then. It just sounded so familiar.

I found it. It was this topic HERE
Posted Image

#8 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2006 - 08:41 AM

Ok, so now that I know how dual core/hyper threading works, I've been thinking about it and have one last question (maybe one last question!).

So, having a dual core processor is like having 2 processors. Now, if a dual core processor cpu runs at say 2mhz, but a single core processor cpu runs at say 3mhz, then wouldn't the single core cpu be faster? If you were to run a benchmark, woulnd't the faster mhz pull a better score? Or for games, woulnd't the faster mhz give you better frame rates?

Bang for the buck, which is a better buy, say for a gaming machine, and why?

Sorry to be a pain, but I'm just trying to get a better understanding of all this technology jazz.
Posted Image

#9 linderman

linderman

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 PM

Posted 19 April 2006 - 06:31 PM

The dual core ONLY out perfroms the single core when multi tasking !! example if you were playing a very intense game (requires alot of system resources) like BF2 or WOW and you want to play music files or run an anti virus scanner or use Skype and dabble in some internet talking while you were playing the game >>>> then the dual core wins > hands down

if you are ONLY playing the game and no other applications / programs then the single core will kick the dog snot out of the dual core. The AMD 64 3800 San Deigo core is an excellent gamer & over clocker too !!

#10 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2006 - 08:39 AM

Ok, soooooo......I do a lot of gaming (to much if you ask the wife :thumbsup: ). When I'm gaming online, I usually have either Yahoo or Team Speak running in the back ground. I don't do anything else when I'm gaming besides use a chat program (VOIP?). So, would I be ok to buy a 3.06 p4 800mhz fsb, or should I make the finacial leap to a dual core processor? Right now when I'm online (either Battlefield 2 or Guild Wars mostly, both in the highest resolution), I don't lag, which is why I don't feel I need to go with a more expensive dual core cpu, and that a cpu with HT will do just fine. Do you think that would be good enough?

For gaming, I have a decent gfx card (nvidia 6800 GS, 8x AGP), so I think that really helps take some of the load off of the system itself. I also have a soundcard (SB! live 24 bit creative labs) that runs my mic and speakers.

I dunno.....I confuse easily I guess :flowers:
Posted Image

#11 linderman

linderman

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 PM

Posted 20 April 2006 - 01:11 PM

yes you would be fine with a intel P4 3.06 i suggest two gigs of ram it helps gaming big time

Edited by linderman, 20 April 2006 - 01:14 PM.

#12 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2006 - 02:49 PM

yes you would be fine with a intel P4 3.06 i suggest two gigs of ram it helps gaming big time

WHOOT!!! :thumbsup: Finally, I was right! Woo Hoo! Yippy for me! I figured that a 3.06 P4 would be ok, but wanted a "second opinion". Oh, and I have 2gb ddr400/pc3200. I custom built my own machine, and was on a budget when I did so. I did it for under $1,000. It took almost 5 months of waiting for things to go on sale, specials, etc. But, I think I did ok for spending as little as I did. Not to mention that I built it with upgrading in mind....the mobo can hold up to a P4 3.4 800mhz fsb, but that's out of my price range (ok, the wife won't let me spend that much :flowers: )

Celeron D 2.93 ghz 533mhz fsb/Abit mobo (combo kit)
200gb western digital hdd
550W psu w/120mm cooling fan
2gb ddr400/pc3200 ram (2x1 gb sticks)
nvidia 6800 GS AGP 8x
24bit SB! live soundcard
cheap case that I need to replace (looks pretty though)
120mm uv/led cooling fan (rear)
80mm cooling fan (side)
DVD burner (LG super multi burner)

Not to shabby (I think) for the price. Actually, it cost me about $818 to make it.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users