Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Able to burn CDs/DVDS?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cctaylor88

cctaylor88

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 AM

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:34 PM

I haven't "burned" a CD for such a long time that I absolutely forget how or if I can even do it... I have this as my CD drive. I simply want to burn music (download songs, make them into CDs) onto a CD that I can play in my car etc. I have windows XP

1. Is the drive I have capable of simply burning audio files so that I may play a CD? If so, it also states that it is a "DVD Burner" is this true?
2. Please suggest a good program to simply create and burn CDs? I will utilize torrents for music files, and would like turn these downloads into music for my car.
3. Am I able to burn DVDs? I would assume with the current drive I have HD DVD burns won't be possible?

Remember: I have extremely limited knowledge/know how on burning CDs or DVDs so everything is foreign to me.

Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 PM

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:47 PM

CDBurnerXP: Free CD and DVD burning software is a very good and simple free program to use -

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 AM

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:23 PM

Since you mentioned Torrents, I have seen when cleaning a computer Viruses masquerading as music files.

From Here How did I get infected? With steps so it does not happen again!

Do not use P2P programs
Peer-to-peer or file-sharing programs (such as uTorrent, Limewire and Bitorrent) are probably the primary route of infection nowadays. These programs allow file sharing between users as the name(s) suggest. It is almost impossible to know whether the file you’re downloading through P2P programs is safe.

It is therefore possible to be infected by downloading infected files via peer-to-peer programs and so I recommend that you do not use these programs. Should you wish to use them, they must be used with extreme care. Some further reading on this subject, along with included links, are as follows: "File-Sharing, otherwise known as Peer To Peer" and "Risks of File-Sharing Technology."

In addition, P2P programs facilitate cyber crime and help distribute pirated software, movies and other illegal material.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 AM

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:02 PM

You can burn CDs and DVDs with your drive. HD DVD is no longer a current format, it lost out to blu-ray. You can't burn that with your drive anyway.

You should find out if your car player will play mp3s, wavs, or has to be configured like an audio CD (like you would buy in a store). The first two would be burned as data CD/DVD; the second could only be burned as an audio CD. Audio CDs are essentially wav files so you cannot get many tracks on them.

If the car player plays compressed formats like mp3 there are other issues. If it only plays CD disks, that is all you should record. You can get a lot more music on a DVD. If your car player can play audio on DVD, the other factor is the play capability. Some players will only play in sequence. If you have 800 tracks that always play in the same order, it's a bit tedious. In such a case, if you like different genres of music you would be better of making CDs by genre or make CD mixes. Then you can play the music your current mood dictates. If the player can make random selections, use playlists etc then DVD is a good option.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users