Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pc Randomly Shuts Down

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Sgt.Slaughter

Sgt.Slaughter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 PM

Posted 23 March 2006 - 09:04 AM

Well, this problem just started recently, sort of. I built this PC myself. When I first assembled it, it would shut off altogether after running for 10 min max. However, after making sure all the connections were secure, it stopped. It ran fine for a few months. Actually, it ran like a champ. I'm talking about FEAR, 1280X1024, MAX everything except AA, and it ran silky smooth, with no slow down. Then, about a week and a half ago, it started acting up again.

It'll shut down even after only running for a few minutes, just sitting at desktop, doing nothing. It also will shut down during POST.

I tried the connections first. No good. I tried disabing the AI NOS system. Still nothing. I set the CPU fan to run full speed, no matter what the CPU load. Zilch.

Heat is definitely not the issue, because my PC idles at 85 F.

This is my PC:
Thermaltake Tsunami Case
Asus A8N-SLI mobo
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+
2 GB Corsair XMS PC3200
WD Caviar 320 GB HD
eVGA GeForce 7800 GTX 256MB
CreativeLabs X-Fi XtremeMusic
Antec 550W power supply

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 AM

Posted 23 March 2006 - 11:54 AM

Have you run any virus/malware scans?

Online virus scanners:
http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

Online Trojan scanner:
TrojanScan

Are you using these basic security programs?
(They're all free.)

a free
ewido security suite
Ad-Aware
Spybot S&D

These 2, will help prevent spyware/malware from being installed in the first place:
Spywareblaster
SpywareGuard

Download these programs, update them, and then run them.
These programs, updated and used regularly, will do a lot to keep your computer clean of spyware, trojans, keyloggers, browser hijackers, etc...

When installing ewido security suite, under Additional Options uncheck:
Install background guard
Install scan via context menu

Important:
Please read this tutorial on Spybot S&D before using it. Spybot can do SERIOUS damage, if not used properly.

Helpful Tutorials:
Using Ad-Aware SE
Using SpywareBlaster
Using SpywareGuard
Using Ewido
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Sgt.Slaughter

Sgt.Slaughter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2006 - 12:14 PM

Well, no, I'm not using any of that. Why? Because I'm sitting here in Baghdad, Iraq, and my PC has never been connected to the internet. Ever. And nothing from the internet has ever been placed onto it. So it's definitely not a virus/adware/spyware/malware.

I'm gonna try resetting CMOS tomorrow. I seem to remember playing around with the jumpers the first time this happened. Hopefully that'll work. If not, I'll pull everything but the mobo out, then put it all back in. If that doesn't work, I'll wipe the HD as a last resort, just in case it's software related (pretty doubtful).

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 AM

Posted 24 March 2006 - 12:33 PM

If you're sure heat is not the problem and all connections are secure I suggest you check the power supply.

If the computer just shuts off like the electricity has been interrupted with no error messages or blue screen first I would look at physical connections and the power supply as the first place to begin.

Edited by Enthusiast, 24 March 2006 - 12:35 PM.

#5 Sgt.Slaughter

Sgt.Slaughter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2006 - 04:28 AM

Ok, I've narrowed it down to three possible problems.

Today, my PC started up, ran for about 5 min, then the video cut out. Now, I'm not getting any video output.

So, it's either:

A)The video card has crapped out
B)The PCI-X slot is fudged up
C)The power supply isn't putting out enough power

I'm gonna go ahead and assume it's C, because of how it kept shutting itself off. If it's not C, then that means the mobo is bad, which I really, really hope is not the case.

I'm gonna go ahead and order a 600 watt Enermax PSU. I'll post whether or not this fixes anything.

Edited by Sgt.Slaughter, 26 March 2006 - 04:30 AM.

#6 Sgt.Slaughter

Sgt.Slaughter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2006 - 10:12 AM

Well, the PSU was the prob. It's all better now.

#7 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 AM

Posted 11 April 2006 - 03:54 PM

Thanks for reporting back. Yup, those PSU's can cause a lot of hard-to-diagnose problems. But the PSU is usually the most likely computer part to fail.

#8 VulcanRaven

VulcanRaven

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 AM

Posted 26 April 2006 - 01:49 PM

Hey guys, im having a very simular problem as this guy, wondering if you could possibly think of a solution, i have very simular components purchased too.

Components:

Thermaltake Shark Aluminium Full Tower
Asus A8N-E nForce4 Ultra (Socket 939) PCI-Express Motherboard
Corsair 2GB DDR TwinX (2x1GB)
XFX GeForce 7800GT Extreme Edition 256MB GDDR3 VIVO TV-Out/Dual DVI (PCI-Express)
Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 10 NCQ 300GB 6V300F0 SATA-II 16MB Cache
Antec Phantom 500W Hybrid Fan Silent ATX2.0 PSU
Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound (3.5g)
Coolermaster Hyper48 Cooler (Socket 754/775/478/939)
AMD Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego 90nm (Socket 939)

Problem:

Computer loads up and after a certain duration of time the cmputer just powers off, no warning, no BSOD just completly goes off - when trying to boot the computer back up it just doesnt unless i leave it for around 15 minutes to let the power supply cool down.

The tempurature and voltages seem fine,

Geforece running at: 39c
CPU fan at: 30c
MB: 33c

Fan speeds;

Power supply: 5625
CPU fan: 3308 (used to be 1500 until i used some addtional wire/paperclip)
MB chassis fan: 1288

I think the problem is the power supply but im not sure (i would like to hear what the other guy did to solve this). Ive rebuilt the computer system, formatted the HDD and installed a new OS (just incase i had malware/virus etc).

Thanks alot guys, ill look foward from hearing from you.

Im new to this forum so, hey everyone.

Edited by VulcanRaven, 26 April 2006 - 01:51 PM.

#9 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 AM

Posted 27 April 2006 - 03:51 PM

VulcanRaven, something with the temps you reported are out of whack. Its unlikely that the CPU temp is 30C at all. Besides, how can it be cooler than the case temp (33C) ?

If the CPU really is cool enough (less than 60 C) then the power supply is probably failing. Use Everest Home to monitor the voltages.

You can check the power supply's voltages by running Everest Home (free). Expand the "Computer" section on the left pane by clicking the plus sign to the left and then click "Sensor". After a moment a list of info will appear in the right hand pane. Look for the voltage readouts for the +3.3V, +5V and +12V outputs. They should be in the following ranges:

+3.3: 3.135V to 3.465v
+5: 4.75V to 5.25V
+12: 11.4V to 12.6V

Also look at the Temperatures" section under "Sensor". The CPU temperature should be under 55 degrees C. While playing movies or games also keep Everest running and check it from time to time for the voltages and temperatures. Perhaps you will be able to diagnose a heat problem or a failing power supply.

#10 VulcanRaven

VulcanRaven

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 AM

Posted 28 April 2006 - 06:57 AM

Hey, i downloaded the program and ill post the results, let me know if theres anything wrong.

Temperatures

Sensor Properties
Sensor Type ITE IT8712F (ISA 290h)
GPU Sensor Type Driver (NV-DRV)
Motherboard Name Asus A8N-E / A8N-SLI Series

Temperatures
Motherboard 33 C (91 F)
CPU 29 C (84 F)
GPU 40 C (104 F)
Maxtor 6V300F0 35 C (95 F)

Cooling Fans
CPU 3309 RPM
Chipset 5625 RPM
Chassis 1350 RPM

Voltage Values
CPU Core 1.36 V
+3.3 V 3.30 V
+5 V 4.87 V
+12 V 11.78 V
+5 V Standby 5.00 V
VBAT Battery 3.09 V
Debug Info F 33 7D 1E
Debug Info T 29 33 25
Debug Info V 55 00 CE B5 B8 B6 00 (F7)

These are taken, just after booting back up when the computer died.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users