Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pps Attachments On Outlook Express

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Ladydreamrider

Ladydreamrider

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 AM

Posted 23 March 2006 - 08:44 AM

I have powerpoint reader 2003 on my computer, but I can't open pps attachments from my outlook express e-mail. I get an error message that tells me I make an associated file using Folder Options in the Control Panel. I've gone into the control panel to do this, I don't have a clue where to go. I look in file types and pps is there so how do I associate it with the attached file?
Thanks
LD

(Moderator edit: moved post to more appropriate forum. jgweed)

Edited by jgweed, 23 March 2006 - 09:17 AM.

Our main business is not to see what lies dimly at a distance,but to do what lies clearly at hand. - Thomas Carlyle

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2006 - 09:23 AM

Here is an easy way. Download the presentation file onto your hard drive.
Then follow the instructions here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40808/how-to-change-which-application-opens-your-pictures/

While the instructions are for image file types, you can look for your PPt reader in step 2. The result should be that the PP reader will automatically be used to open any powerpoint file.
Hope this solves your problem.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 suej

suej

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 PM

Posted 16 September 2006 - 05:55 AM

I have this same exact problem with XP home edition. Being computer challenged, I'm not sure what you mean by right clicking on any image file. Thanks for your help.

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2006 - 01:36 PM

Go to where ever the file is located on your hard drive. Place the cursor over the icon that is to the left of the file name (so the file is highlighted). Use the right side of your mouse and click it (press down on it). The result should be a pop down menu with various choices. You would want "Properties" which is usually at the bottom of the menu.
Cheers,
JOhn
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 suej

suej

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2006 - 05:39 PM

right now the email with the pps attachment is sitting in my mailbox. when I right click the icon next to the attachment, properties does not come up on the drop-down menu. Do i need to save the attachment first? Thanks, suej

#6 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2006 - 06:45 PM

Yes,you have to Save it first.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#7 suej

suej

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2006 - 05:24 AM

I followed all your instructions from the very beginning and I think it will work except with this attachment it now says its not a powerpoint file, it has .eml behind the name, so I'll wait for another email that has a powerpoint attachment. But thanks for all your help, I'm sure the next one will open. suej

#8 suej

suej

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2006 - 05:36 AM

I just found another email in my mailbox with an attachment that said .pps in the name. I saved it to my hard drive and followed your instructions in previous replies here. when I went to open it, instead of .pps it had .eml and I got the message powerpoint viewer couldn't open it because it's not a powerpoint file. Any suggestions? The box was checked to always open this kind of file with powerpoint viewer. In fact, it was greyed out so I couldn't change it anyway. thanks, suej

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users