Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:00 PM
I am attempting to get a new IP address from Comcast by using the MAC cloning/spoofing feature of my cable modem/router which is a Motorola Surfboard SBG6580. I'm using the MAC address of one of my hard-wired PCs and I am able to get a new public IP from Comcast but the problem is that once I get a new IP only my hard-wired (ethernet) PCs are working. None of my wireless devices (laptops, smartphones, etc) will resolve any webpages. They are able to connect to the wifi network SSID but have no internet connectivity.
Things I've tried after getting the new IP via MAC cloning:
1. Setting up a new wireless SSID and WPA key in the router and wireless devices
2. Removing all previous wireless network configs from laptops and other wireless devices
3. ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew
4. uninstalling and reinstalling hardware wifi adapters from device manager
5. tried to resolve websites via their IP to elimate DNS possibilities (IPs wouldn't work either)
None of these things have worked. Once I go back into the router config and zero everything out (to obtain the default router MAC) I re-acquire my original IP from Comcast and both wired and wireless devices work fine. I need to be able to obtain a new IP from Comcast but also need to have my wifi working. Any thoughts? Advice of any kind is appreciated! Thanks!