Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Irs May Let Tax Preparers

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 AM

Posted 23 March 2006 - 07:11 AM

IRS May Let Tax Preparers Sell Customers' Information

Proposal is a License to Plunder, Consumer Groups Argue

By Martin H. Bosworth
ConsumerAffairs.Com

March 12, 2006

One of the few comforts you can enjoy about tax time is that your information -- your wages, assets, expenses, and personal data -- are shared only between you, the government, and any tax agents you may use. No third parties can use it to target you for advertising or offers.

But the IRS may be revising its rules to allow tax preparers to share or sell customer information to third parties and database brokers, as part of a sweeping change to its privacy regulations.

Call the IRS and lodge a complaint, and protest this obvious case of loss of privacy.
I can not even put into words, how much I am outraged by this.
This thought should have never, came across their minds, let alone have a chance of
ever materializing.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 AM

Posted 23 March 2006 - 09:38 AM

Sounds to me like the government is bowing to lobbying pressure from the companies that help prepare tax returns. At one time, government seemed to exist to protect privacy, now it exists to regulate.
And I am willing to bet that the IRS is doing this administratively, so it will not even have to be perused by Congress. I would certainly write your representatives and let them know that this is simply not acceptable.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users