Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Kindle Fire HD

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 HydroLar

HydroLar

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 AM

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:50 AM

With 'Black Friday' and 'Cyber Monday' on their way in the USA I thought I might finally get myself a tablet.

I would use it for reading, mostly, storing and listening to music with the occasional video thrown in and price is extremely important...

After looking at quite a few different models I'm pretty much settled on a Kindle Fire HD. It's a cheap price for what you get and does run the Android OS although you would never know it. The only drawbacks would be that it is a slave to Amazon and built primarily to consume Amazon products (meaning I would have to become an Amazon Prime member most likely). There is no support for Gmail, YouTube or Adobe Flash and apps are few and buggy. But for what I use it for maybe that is still my best choice.

Anyone have any experience with a Kindle Fire? Any pros or cons someone would like to share?
Posted Image

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." - Marcus Aurelius

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,828 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 PM

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:29 AM

I have an aversion to the 'Walled Garden' experience that is Amazon Kindle based. The Fire does run a proprietary version of Android, not true Android. With that said unless, you're in love with what Amazon offers on the back end. Why not go with a 'real' Android and go with a 16GB Nexus 7 by Google. Virtually the same price as the Fire without the 'Walled Garden'. Real Android apps and Play Store access.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 HydroLar

HydroLar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 AM

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:03 PM

For some reason I had thought the $199 price for the Nexus only included 8 gb and not 16 gb. This was the only reason I went for the Kindle Fire HD - price.

Now, seeing that the prices are pretty much the same for both tablets with 16 gb, the Nexus is the better choice by far. Not only does it have Google Chrome built in, it can play YouTube and movies not from Amazon, read eBooks from Nook and Kindle and it can handle Gmail. Besides, an Amazon Prime membership with a Kindle Fire HD is almost mandatory and I see little use for Amazon Prime.

Thanks for making me look again at the price comparison!
Posted Image

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." - Marcus Aurelius

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,828 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 PM

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:32 PM

You're quite welcome. :thumbup2:

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 TanGersten

TanGersten

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 AM

Posted 30 November 2012 - 05:34 AM

Nexus 7 is definitely the best 7" tablet on the market right now, and at a great price too! The device itself is very nicely manufactured and feels great in hands for reading and browsing the web, the HD display makes it really nice for watching movies. The support is the thing that I like most about Google devices.

I'd pick the N7 any day over a Kindle Fire HD! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users