Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Backup software

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cooldudenz

cooldudenz

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 AM

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:32 AM

Hey, I'm looking for a program to backup my existing hard drive, I have SyncToy but doesn't do what I need it to.

What I have is 2 X 1.5 TB drives.

I want a program that will match Hard drive B to A, so everything from A will be copied to B, files on B that are not on A will be deleted from drive B. Folder name differences will be corrected ect.

Suggestions?

Cheers.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Darkbat

Darkbat

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 AM

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:30 PM

Cooldude,

What operating system do you have? If you are using windows XP or newer depending on the version, you can follow this guide http://www.pcworld.com/article/132877/RAID.html?page=2 In order to let windows sync the drives into a software RAID. Which from what I am reading is what you are looking for. Please correct me if I am wrong.

#3 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 AM

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:36 AM

You have to be careful what you wish for when you backup. Having instantaneous duplication carries some risks. If you decide you don't like some revisions you made, you have no previous backup. If you accidentally delete a file, it's gone completely. There are many variations of when you backup, what you backup, how many backup sets to keep etc. I won't comment further at this point until you clarify what you are after. If it is exactly per your first post, then RAID would be the easiest solution.

Edit: RAID is not what I would call a normal backup method, it's more for protecting against a single hard drive failure. You could have RAID and then backup to a third drive? Data backups are best done on to a media independent of the PC. Suppose there is a power surge due to lightning and both HDDs get fried?

Edited by Nanobyte, 28 November 2012 - 05:13 AM.

#4 Darkbat

Darkbat

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 AM

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:39 PM

I agree with you Raid is not a back up, and I also agree with what you said about the safety of doing it this way. I was just providing an option. However, The question was about 2 Internal drives from my understanding. I personally would buy an external HDD enclosure in order to use the other 1.5 TB drive seperate from the computer.

#5 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 AM

Posted 28 November 2012 - 03:00 PM

I agree with you Raid is not a back up....

I wasn't being critical. You provided exactly the specified mode. I normally backup to DVD (now 30c each for good quality) plus compressed backup (with all revs of a document) on an external drive. I don't protect against building fire, which is a consideration. That's easier to handle today if you are willing to use cloud technology. Await Cooldudenz further comments.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users