Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading old pc to win7

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 M!5T3RM0U53

M!5T3RM0U53

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 AM

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:22 AM

My pc is old.
500gb space, 2gb ram.
Tired of xp, I want to upgrade to win7 ultimate. I have original cd.
One of the reasons im doing this is becoz, I'm a gamer and lot of new games are not supporting win xp anymore.

question:
1. How to do it?
2. I have 180gb worth data on pc, is it possible to recover/keep data as it is without transferring it somewhere else (I have 4 drives)
3. can i have xp on 1 drive and win7 on other?
4. I dont know which version I have, I think its 32bit. My xp is also 32bit , does it matter?
5. I have all installation cd's, everything. what else do i need?
6. How to connect to internet in win7. I have win7 on my laptop and I dunno how to.
EDIT:
7. my Dvd drive is not working properly , my sis has win 7 in usb , can win 7 be installed from usb?
thanks

Edited by M!5T3RM0U53, 19 November 2012 - 01:29 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:02:36 PM

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:46 AM

You said your computer is old but did not say how old.

Have you run this yet to see if your system can handle Win 7?

Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor

Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor

Download and run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor to see if your PC is ready for Windows 7. It scans your hardware, devices, and installed programs for known compatibility issues, gives you guidance on how to resolve potential issues found, and recommends what to do before you upgrade.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 19 November 2012 - 11:46 AM.

#3 M!5T3RM0U53

M!5T3RM0U53
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:40 PM

I just ran it. And it shows no problems . It says I can run 32 bit , but not 64 bit. (it requires 3gb ram)

#4 M!5T3RM0U53

M!5T3RM0U53
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:20 AM

My pc is 7 n half years old. I changed the power supply box and hard drive once.

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,288 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 PM

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:39 AM

To take your points, not necessarily in order -

Point 7 : I have never done this but I believe it can be done, but you will need to go into your BIOS first to make the USB the first boot item. But with regards to your faulty DVD drive, I would be inclined to replace that anyway as you will almost certainly need one for installing other software.

Point 2 : If you are going to install Win 7 into your existing 'C' drive, you will need to move / back-up any data on that drive. The 'upgrade' path from XP to Win 7 involves formatting the drive. You will also need to re-install all your applications if you do this, hence my comment about replacing the DVD drive.

Point 3 : You can have both XP and Win 7 running on the same computer, either on different drives or in different partitions on the same drive. If you do this, Win 7 will create a boot manager where you can choose which operating system you want to boot to. The default is Win 7, and I was given 30 seconds to choose and after 30 seconds it booted to Win 7. If you decide to go this route, I would still recommend that you move any data out of the drive / partition you are going to install Win 7 on before you start.

Point 6 : Assuming you are using a wireless dongle, Win 7 will almost certainly install drivers for it, otherwise run the maker's install disc. Down at the right hand end of your task bar, you should then see your wi-fi symbol flashing, or else a box will come up saying 'wireless connections are available'. Click on the symbol and it should open a box which lists available connections. Click on your connection and click 'Connect'. It will then ask you for your security key - assuming you are using one, and you certainly should be ! Enter the key, then click 'Connect automatically'. You should then connect to the internet.

Hope this helps,

Chris Cosgrove

#6 M!5T3RM0U53

M!5T3RM0U53
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:02 AM

I want to completely remove xp.
I want win 7 only. What about my other drives ? will all data be erased?
I have DSL not wireless internet.

As for the apps, most of them are free , so i can d/l them again.

EDIT:
My sis also has win7.gho file , how does that work?

Edited by M!5T3RM0U53, 21 November 2012 - 01:35 PM.

#7 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,288 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 PM

Posted 25 November 2012 - 05:37 AM

Hi,

DSL - Win 7 probably includes the drivers, but I would check before you upgrade ( ie while your internet is known to be still working ) with the supplier's web-site to see if they have a Win 7 driver for your model of modem and download it if they have.

XP - If you have decided you want to completely remove XP, then just do a Win 7 install into the drive your XP is installed in. This WILL do a format on that drive, so back up any data you have on it before you start. It shouldn't affect any other drives on your system but to make certain that it can't, you can always unplug the data leads to them before you start. Make sure the computer is switched off first, and shut it down again before you reconnect them.

Internet connection - Once you have Win 7 installed, connect your modem and try connecting to your ISP as normal. You may need to install the drivers you downloaded in the first of these steps, but after that it should connect in exactly the same way.

Once you have got your internet connection working, you can then look forward to a boring weekend reinstalling your software and setting options and preferences the way you like them. It's on a par with watching paint dry !

Regards,

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users