Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Water/liquid cooling

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 blacktiger826

blacktiger826

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 AM

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:40 AM

I was with a friend at my local computer shop, and in short, I deduced that the fan cooling in my new system isn't quite enough. Its been working because of the open case setup ive let it stay in at the moment because its new and I was testing the system. If I want it to correctly cool I have a couple options. I can buy more fans/ leave it in open set up, or I can go for liquid cooling. I am distinctly against leaving it in an open set up just for possible damage issues, and more fans at the required speed would be very loud so I am very interested in liquid cooling. The problem is I am very inexperienced with that sort of cooling and had a few questions.
First, Ive heard I need to change the coolant every 6-9 months or so. How hard is it? while I do care about my system, I simply don't have the time to be constantly taking apart and putting back together an entire cooling system.
Second, How expensive is quality coolant? While I do want good stuff for my system, I don't want to shell out tons of money all the time.
Third, How much better is it? How much Quieter is it? How much more does it lower my temperatures?

Thanks for the help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 AM

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:47 AM

Leaving an open case is not a good idea, and something does indeed need done. Liquid cooling has come a long ways, but if all you do is the CPU, that may not change your system temperatures, and doing a full out liquid cooling setup can be expensive. Another option is a bigger, better case that allows better airflow.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 AM

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:44 PM

Is liguid cooling worth it? It just depends.

If you have a CPU that is hitting 150+ watts and it is over volted, then yes, liquid cooling is worth it. Below 130 watts, stock voltage, then you run into some air coolers that do a fine job, albeit really big and heavy CPU coolers/fans.

All I have personal experience with is an H100 that I just installed on my new 3770K build. I got it mainly because it fit my case like a glove, and it makes the inside of the case a lot neater. Drawback, the fans on it are annoying, so I dumped an extra $20 for a pair of SP120 Quiets, and now all is well.

Personally, I only looked at the prebuilt units (Corsair/Thermaltake etc) as I don't have the time to mess with custom waterblocks and radiators/pumps/reservoirs/fluids.

Will post back, got to meet for lunch with the Mrs today.....right now.

Edited by dpunisher, 19 November 2012 - 01:45 PM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#4 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 AM

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:17 PM

Definitely agreeing with dpunisher, there is quite a few self contained watercooling kit that might be the solution. You can have a look at the H80 as that only requires a 120mm fan mount oppose to 2 120mm for the H100.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users