Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Start Screen and Apps Not Responding

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 mminyard

mminyard

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 PM

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:25 PM

My Windows 8 install was working fine until after some updates installed on 11/16/2012. Since then, I'm unable to start Apps from the Start screen, access the Charms bar, etc. I can get to my desktop by pressing Ctrl+Shift+Esc to launch Task Manager. Once there, I can use my desktop apps, run commands, etc. I have uninstalled the updates, but my Start screen still isn't working.

My problem seems the same or similar to what is described by "Troubleshooting steps to use when Windows apps won't start" at http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/windows-apps-wont-start/. I have tried the suggested ideas except for "Switch to a local account." I am using a "Microsoft" account, and I would like to convert to a local account. I know how to do this via Users in PC Settings, but I can't get to PC Settings from the Start screen. (I have tried accessing via the Charms bar by moving my mouse to the upper-right corner, pressing WinKey + C, and also pressing WinKey + I; nothing works.)

Any suggestions on how I can convert my user account from a Microsoft account to a Local account? For example, can this be done via the desktop or with a command that I can run from the command prompt. Note, I have also tried clicking "Make changes to my account in PC Settings" within Control Panel's User Accounts screen. When I click it though, nothing happens.

Thanks for any tips.

Matt

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 PM

Posted 22 November 2012 - 03:24 PM

Hey Matt,

Have you figured this out yet? If not I will see what I can find out for you. I have already checked for a command line method of converting from a microsoft to a local, but no luck so far.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users