Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

LaserJet 1000 Printer

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 try2000

try2000

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 PM

Posted 18 November 2012 - 07:18 PM

I have a Compaq CQ2103WM computer running Windows XP Home, my home network's host computer, and a HP LaserJet 1000 printer. A RootKit infection was found and cleaned, during the infection my printer stopped printing from my host computer. I uninstalled and reinstalled the printer software from the original disk. I also downloaded the driver from HP's website. The following message appears: "Please insert the Compact Disk labeled "USB disk" into your CD-ROM drive [E\:] and then click OK." and "Problem with USB Hub or connection. I tried changing the USB ports and added a new hub. I also changed the Device Manager's Power Management at USB Root Hub, then reinstalled software from the disk and got this message: "The driver installation file for this devise is missing a necessary entry. This may be because the INF was written for Windows 95 or later. Contact your hardware vendor."
On last attempt to install from the original driver disk go the following message: "An installation support file: "C:\DOCUME~1\HP_ADM~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\{975c8028-51d8-44a9-9585-82e9810fe96a}\Driver_Install.dll" Access is denied. OK"
The computer will print to my HP All-In-One if I attach the USB cable directly from the computer to that printer. Any suggestions as to what I should try next?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 PM

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:21 AM

I also downloaded the driver from HP's website. The following message appears: "Please insert the Compact Disk labeled "USB disk" into your CD-ROM drive [E\:] and then click OK." and "Problem with USB Hub or connection.

Did you insert the disk and do the necessaries? Do you have such a disk?

I tried changing the USB ports and added a new hub.

Did you try plugging directly into the PC like the All-in-one?

There are utilities for removing HP stuff (so you can install from scratch) but that may affect the other printer and you may end up in a worse mess.

Edit: It struck me later that it appears like the PC is being seen as pre-XP. The reference to a USB disk implies that it does not think a USB driver is installed in the OS. XP has drivers by default. Tie that in with the later ref to Win 95. I have no positive ideas however.......later, I checked when the HP Laserjet 1000 was first produced, 2001. Is it possible your install package is for a Windows version prior to XP? That seems unlikely because the printer did work at one time, unless a different/updated install package was used to the one you are currently trying.

Edited by Nanobyte, 21 November 2012 - 01:36 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users