Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't handle video

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 zachper

zachper

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 AM

Posted 18 November 2012 - 07:11 PM

Hi, My computer is acting strangely and cannot seem to play video files without them freezing up. I can play up to about 10 mins of video before the audio starts getting scratchy and the video freezes and jumps or my computer will just shut down.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 AM

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:33 AM

Desktop or Laptop?

One thing that can cause your problems is overheating. When was the last time the heatsink(s) were cleaned?

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 zachper

zachper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:44 PM

Its a Laptop and i have not checked or cleaned the heatsinks since i have gotten it

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:46 PM

Just as a test, Can you feel how hot the air coming out of it is when playing a video?

There is software you can run to measure the temperature however it doesn't always work right. That is why I like to feel how hot the air is. My Toshiba for example blows out lukewarm air idling, Playing a video it gets hotter but not so hot you can't hold a finger in the airflow.

Just curious what the task manager shows for CPU idling and playing a video? If you need instructions on how to check that let me know.

Roger

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#5 zachper

zachper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2012 - 02:59 PM

When idle or playing video for the first 10 to 15 minutes the computer will give off lukewarm air and work smoothly, after about 15 minutes of streaming the fans will start working harder and the air will be hot. When idle my CPU usage is at about 3 percent and once i hit play on a video it jumps to about 25 percent

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2012 - 04:04 PM

25% CPU should not make the air coming out real hot. The computer needs to be able to run at 100% usage.

Here is a HP guidethat more or less applies to all laptops. Take a look at it and see what you think.

Inadequate cooling can cause excess heat which forces the fan to run constantly, can damage components, and limit the speed of the CPU. All of these problems with high power and high heat will cause applications to work slower than normal.
The sound of the fan running all the time may the first clue that your PC is not running as efficiently as possible and that you may have a problem with accumulated dust clogging air vents.

and does this sound familiar?

Symptoms of heat issues and causes of excessive heat
The following list describes some of the issues caused by too much heat in the computer:

Games stop responding during play.
Windows stops responding during use.
Fans inside the computer become louder because they are spinning faster to remove the heat.
When starting the computer, it sometimes stops at a black screen and does not open into Windows. Windows usually stops responding when it does open.
Mouse and keyboard stop responding.

It is possible that the computer is running too hot. When the CPU starts overheating it will slow down to protect itself. If that does not do the job the computer may (will usually) shut down to protect the components inside.

Good Luck
Roger

167 @ June 2015

#7 zachper

zachper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2012 - 04:44 PM

that sounds exactly like the issue i am having. should cleaning the heatsinks take care of the overheating issue or are there other possible factors?

#8 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:36 AM

If that is the cause then cleaning the heat sink should fix the issue. The fact that the air coming out gets hot would seem to indicate that the heat sink itself is OK.

That HP Guide I linked gives methods you can try.

Other causes would be less likely since you indicate that the CPU usage is OK, and that hot air is coming out of the computer.
On my own Toshiba the heat sink had failed. It was easy to determine since the air coming out was lukewarm at best despite the fan racing and blowing a good volume of air, Not your case as your is blowing out hot air.

Try the HP cures as a first step.

Good Luck
Roger

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users