Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

unable to access boot menu

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 miscxd

miscxd

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 AM

Posted 18 November 2012 - 05:59 PM

Hello!

I have downloaded the BackTrack 5 iso and burned it to a DVD, and I restarted my computer to boot from the DVD and was met with only a black screen with a blinking cursor in the top left corner. I tried hitting F12, even though neither the option for it, nor the F2 bios menu (i believe?) were visible. Nothing happened and after a moment windows started normally. Just looking to find out if something is wrong with my computer, and if so what can be done so that I can boot from this DVD.

Thanks in advance for any help :)

Edited by hamluis, 19 November 2012 - 11:58 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Linux - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,096 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:06 PM

Have you downloaded, burned image to DVD and installed a Linux distro before this attempt?
Reason I ask is that you may have not burned the ISO to the disk properly.
Properly burning an ISO image file to a disc is a bit different than just burning the ISO file as you would any other file.
You'll need to choose the "burn image" or "write image" option in your burning software and then choose the file.

Burning at a slower speed is a good idea, too.
You may have a bad DVD disk. Not unusual.

Of course, could be a bad download, too.

EDIT:
You may prefer to install on a flash drive...to use as live or persistent...
UNetbootin USB Installer - BackTrack Linux

Edited by buddy215, 19 November 2012 - 01:15 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 Dethadder

Dethadder

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:22 AM

I have had this issue myself and unless someone has a more viable work around the only thing you can do is reinstall. It sucks but itís allot easier than trying to recreate a MBR. Itís not so much a disk burn problem as it is the MBR getting places in the wrong spot. (Try booting from your windows drive see if you get a GRUB prompt with the option to boot from ubuntu 10.04, then thatís where it went)

The best way to install BT5 is to unplug all other hard drives from the system. Then run your ďinstall.shĒ with NO OTHER DRIVES internal or external. Thatís the best fix /work around that I know ofÖ sorry I canít be of anymore help.

I also wouldnít recommend using BT in a live environment, Iím sure as you have found running an exploit of any type in run level 5 is too tasking on the system.

#4 stiltskin

stiltskin

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:35 AM

Sounds like a bad burn. Did you check the disk against the md5sum?

Sometimes that happens and nothing seems to solve it., However, I've had some luck by changing a few things. Not always, but sometimes:

• burn at a slower speed
  • use a different disc brand
  • change disc type (change from/to DVD-RW)

But the most important thing is to make sure your download is good. The best way to do that is to compare the md5sum of the *.iso against what the download site says it should be, and then compare it with the actual burn md5sum once you're sure the download itself is OK.

#5 scurvychef

scurvychef

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2012 - 01:38 AM

Sounds like a bad burn. Did you check the disk against the md5sum?

BAD CHECKSUMS are annoying! I always buy blank DVDs wholesale, I toss 25% of them when trying to get a good checksum...

I switch back and forth between K3B and Brasero if I get alot of bad burns too... I agree though that speed and brand is important too though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users